PF is sponsoring the 2014 WI Science Festival
- Topic: Announcement
- Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
60 replies · 8K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 20,002
- 11,121
The festival expo is all over. Overall it was an extremely positive experience. We handed out over 1500 PF pencils. Talked to many scientists and students about PF. Saw hundreds of little faces light up when they touched the plasma ball. A big thanks goes to @dlgoff who helped represent PF at the booth for two days. Now, I must sleep :D
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Thanks Greg. Your having PF to participate at the Festival definitely had a positive influence in the promotion of science; as evidenced be those "Little faces". But I'd put the lighted up figure in the thousands range. Seriously. :)
I need sleep too but plan on posting some good stuff later.
I need sleep too but plan on posting some good stuff later.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
Greg Bernhardt said:The festival expo is all over. Overall it was an extremely positive experience. We handed out over 1500 PF pencils. Talked to many scientists and students about PF. Saw hundreds of little faces light up when they touched the plasma ball. A big thanks goes to @dlgoff who helped represent PF at the booth for two days. Now, I must sleep :D
Yay!
Now I have to run off and see how many; "How the heck does a plasma ball work?" threads have been posted. :)
- 20,002
- 11,121
Some came close especially considering my limited science background, but I maneuvered around the questions quite well I think :)OmCheeto said:Did anyone ask you a physics question you couldn't answer?
Good to hear you got back safely! Looking forward to your photos!dlgoff said:I need sleep too but plan on posting some good stuff later.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,050
- 614
You could "rebrand" them as "graphing pencils"!Greg Bernhardt said:So, funny story. I bought 1500 pencils with PF's URL on them. Got them today and I ended up ordering golf pencils. So they are all 1/2 size. Lol no wonder they were so cheap. :D
- 20,002
- 11,121
Actually the pencils were a huge hit. People loved them :Dlisab said:You could "rebrand" them as "graphing pencils"!
Last edited:
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
Greg Bernhardt said:So, funny story. I bought 1500 pencils
Greg Bernhardt said:We handed out over 1500 PF pencils.
Greg Bernhardt said:Actually the pencils were a huge hit. People loved them :D
I think you should be given an infraction for posting an over-unity pencil post.
:D
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
I was just hoping for some leftover autographed pencils that I could bid on.Borek said:Perhaps once he got short on pencils he started to cut them in half, making them even shorter?
Alternatively, he bought 1500 pencils, handed them out, and then someone stole Greg's own pencil, which makes the grand total of pencil gained by the public 1501.
I once paid $250 for a George Takei autograph (it was for charity).
I saw earlier that Greg signed an autograph on a clipboard.
One of those two girls is a real nerd.
- 20,002
- 11,121
We were taking a popularity poll between Einstein and Hawking :)OmCheeto said:I saw earlier that Greg signed an autograph on a clipboard.
One of those two girls is a real nerd.
- 20,002
- 11,121
About the same as day 1 and 2. Very consistent :)dlgoff said:How did Hawking do on day 3? It was fairly close on day 1 and 2 but Einstein was slightly ahead. Amazing how many little kids knew or heard of them. And a few could tell your what both had worked on.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Greg and I were thrilled to have this gentleman visit the booth,
image compliments of http://www.ted.com/speakers/manu_prakash
Who invented a 50-cent microscope that folds like origami.
image compliments of http://www.ted.com/speakers/manu_prakash
Who invented a 50-cent microscope that folds like origami.
Last edited:
RonL
Gold Member
- 1,108
- 219
dlgoff said:One quick pic of who's responsible for making the above pic possible. Thanks Greg's Mom.
View attachment 74654
A HOT mom that's done a cool job raising a fine son, the picture says it all.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
I'm proud to have been with you, Greg, at this Communicating Science: Talk and panel discussion. Even though you considered me a witch.Greg Bernhardt said:Physics Forums is proud to announce that this year we are a sponsor for the Wisconsin Science Festival! The fest runs from October 16 – 19, 2014.
Supporting PF as this years Community Spirit Award winner.
- 20,002
- 11,121
So glad you found this, I'd love to watch it again. You can see us i the front row! :)dlgoff said:I'm proud to have been with you, Greg, at this Communicating Science: Talk and panel discussion. Even though you considered me a witch.
Supporting PF as this years Community Spirit Award winner.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
I want to hear your explanation of how smart phones work.dlgoff said:Yep. Front row. That's how we roll.![]()
I noticed that Greg raised his hand.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
Whilst watching, I was there with you, trying to explain it.dlgoff said:You'd have to ask Greg, but I think is was because I tried explaining that it was like a toy; nothing to be afraid of. Hence, I'm a witch.
Though, it took me another several hours before I came up with a non-witch explanation.
And even then...
- 20,002
- 11,121
It's kind of like the time traveler thread we have around here. Might be fun to do here too.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
In two minutes or less?Greg Bernhardt said:It's kind of like the time traveler thread we have around here. Might be fun to do here too.
Even after thinking the whole thing through, in 300 year old language/technology, it would take me hours to describe how the blacksmith and his seamstress wife had a child that was able to make unbelievably small thread from metal, creating a thing, that was basically a tiny, stupid, but very fast, incarnation, of a human.
The signaling(aka EM) part was easy:
Om; "Hold your hand up"
Greg; Holds his hand up
Om; Pulls out his lighter, and flicks his bic.
Greg; m.k.
Om; put his hand between the flame, and Greg's hand.
Greg; m.k.
Om; Does it really fast: hot, cold, hot, cold, hot, cold. Get it? Its binary!
Greg; m.k.
Ok. This may take me weeks...
......
Just googled "binary".
Wiki says Leibniz did it first.
After reading Newton's Principia the other day, and learning this, I think it's time for another nap.
OmCheeto said:The shoulders we take for granted
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 9,747
- 11,967
I didn't even know this thread existed ... only found it from the link of a recent thread of what do you look like pic's
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-do-you-look-like.883058/page-3#post-5564290
with the pic and link to the sci fair with Don @dlgoff
Is this sci festival an annual event ? has PF been back to the 2015 or others ?
outstanding to get PF out there, well done
Dave
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-do-you-look-like.883058/page-3#post-5564290
with the pic and link to the sci fair with Don @dlgoff
Is this sci festival an annual event ? has PF been back to the 2015 or others ?
outstanding to get PF out there, well done
- 20,002
- 11,121
Similar threads
- Greg Bernhardt
- · Replies 8 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 8

