Describe your work like you're a 6 year old

In summary: This person is a 6-year-old who plays with toys to make them work. They work with electricity to make things. They sell their toys to other people. They get shocked sometimes.
Bandersnatch
Science Advisor
Inspired by this SMBC comic:
1472052164-20160824.png
I can read things some people can't read so I read them and then write them again only now those people can read it.

Now's your turn.

Last edited:
Likes ProfuselyQuarky, Evo, Pepper Mint and 9 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I take lasers and shoot them at atoms or molecules and try to push them or cool them and stuff. Actually, I'm not allowed to play with lasers, so I do it all in a computer, but that's fun enough.

Likes shadowshed, ProfuselyQuarky, Evo and 6 others
As six-year-old as I can make it:

Sometimes people have bad bones :frown: so doctors give them metal bones :smile: But bugs like the metal bones and can make people sick :nb) I'm trying to make the metal bones bugproof :cool:

Likes MexChemE, ProfuselyQuarky, edward and 4 others
I grow cells, like your skin. We feed them cow blood and then they grow a tiny hair that we pull on with a tractor beam and watch to see what happens. It's kind of like how your ear works.

Likes atyy, ProfuselyQuarky, edward and 1 other person
Pilots can't crash airplanes full of people just to learn how to fly. So I make toys for pilots and other people to use to learn stuff by playing with the toys. Do you learn things playing with toys?

Sometimes other people use my toys to find out how things work.

My favorite toys work on computer screens and people use them like games. I bet you like games. Do you learn things from your games?

Likes shadowshed, ProfuselyQuarky and Evo
I think about the universe and write things about it with numbers in it.

I put colors and stuff into plastics to make them pretty and make them last longer.

Andy Resnick said:
We feed them cow blood
Ewww!

What if God is weally, weally up dewe and not invisible like those mean people on Facebook say, and if we look at what contum...kwanza, car, mechanic-fixer--that science wiffs all the things going round and round the other things and the light that comes in packages? You know the one? All we haves to do is keep looking at dat science with all those other dimens...places we can't see yet, and we'll find out god lives in one of them and is not weally invisible.

And dats what science means to me!

Brittany with an i, age 5 and three-quarters.

Bandersnatch said:
Ewww!

Exactly... (cue the Dr. Evil laugh)

I get up in the morning and after a couple of hours of browsing the web, I try to decide what I important things I should accomplish during the day. While thinking about that, I occupy myself doing random things that come up, including taking some naps. (This is called retirement.)

Likes quarkle, beamie564, ProfuselyQuarky and 5 others
I like to makɘ things. Only not real things like you can hold, but things that live in my compluter. Other pɘople like to look at the things I make. And it helps them do things they like to do.

Likes Bandersnatch
I make clean rooms cleaner... which sounds like way too much of a chore...

Likes atyy
Stephen Tashi said:
I get up in the morning and after a couple of hours of browsing the web, I try to decide what I important things I should accomplish during the day. While thinking about that, I occupy myself doing random things that come up, including taking some naps. (This is called retirement.)

More succinctly, I would call retirement "being on summer vacation all the time."

(not quite there yet, give me a few more months...)

Well, when I was working, if I was age 6, I'd say I worked with scary people, that called me from planes being chased by bad guys, chasing bad guys, going into hiding, in foreign countries. Now, I'd be too bored to stop coloring with my crayons.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Evo said:
Well, when I was working, if I was age 6, I'd say I worked with scary people, that called me from planes being chased by bad guys, chasing bad guys, going into hiding, in foreign countries. Now, I'd be too bored to stop coloring with my crayons.
What job is that?o_O

Shayan.J said:
What job is that?o_O
I worked with The Department of Homeland Security.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and berkeman
Evo said:
I worked with The Department of Homeland Security.
I didn't know such incidents are so common that they can constitute a job description!

Shayan.J said:
I didn't know such incidents are so common that they can constitute a job description!
yeah

I take dirt and mix it with magic smoke to make it special.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Like a 6 year old..

Look, Jane, look.
See Jack work
Work Jack work
Work, work, work.
See Jack work.

I play on my computer to make things. I play with electricity to make things. My company sells lots of my things. :smile:

Sometimes I get shocked, though. It hurts... :wideeyed:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Like Evo I played DHS then when I came home I had weally big toys that dug big holes in the ground, one would dig 33' deep and one would lift 12,000 pounds in one scoop. I loved pushing dirt and digging holes and sometimes other people payed me money to fill their toys with dirt and gravel. I had a weally good time but now I don't do that anymore :cool::biggrin::smile: I'm weally happy:smile::biggrin:

This thread would be easier if we could get Randall Munroe to build us a Ten Hundred Words People Use Most Often Generator.

Likes Borg
berkeman said:
I play on my computer to make things. I play with electricity to make things. My company sells lots of my things. [emoji2]

Sometimes I get shocked, though. It hurts... :wideeyed:
Oh, so it's like my favourite game? Hold on, pioneer!
uploadfromtaptalk1472368256332.jpeg

It's a game where you have to withstand small electric shocks :-)

So what I do is... stop poking your brother. No, you're not married to a Guinea Pig if you kiss it. Wow that is a cool dragon. Don't sit on the stool like that. Because you'll tip over. No, I don't know what baby dragons eat. Just leave it! Okay, so at work I ... I told you not to sit on the stool like that. Sure, you can have a Band-aid. I don't know if a dragon can marry a Guinea Pig or not, but sure. When people get really sick... no lot like when you threw up in the car... yes that was really sick, but I work with people that are sick in a different way... yes sometimes they throw up... I have a really big machine that cures them or makes them feel better. It shoots a beam of light at the disease that's making them sick. Sure, I suppose it's kind of like the Death Star... No, it doesn't make them explode.

Likes Tontaun, S.G. Janssens, Dembadon and 4 others
Ah, Choppy, but you described your work like you're talking to a 6 year old - not like you are that age. ;)

I produce ionizing radiation and aim it at poor unsuspecting individuals. (I'm a 6 y/o with an amazing vocabulary. :biggrin: )

Likes quarkle
See all those poles out there with the big wires between them? I use my computer to draw them on big pieces of paper. It tells the loud men in the shop how to build them and where they need to go to do it.

Then a guy in a suit comes and yells at me and says he does not want to spend so much money on my poles and motor operator-thingys.

So then I make new drawings so he can keep his money.

Then the loud guys in the shop yell at me and say it is too hard to build it the way the guy in the suit wants it.

(Talking like a 6-year-old was harder than I thought. Great thread!)

Likes Tontaun, MexChemE, OmCheeto and 2 others
I work in a Kindergarten for old people.

I sit for hours at one place. During that time I read, think and write. Others think I am weird, so they don't want to play with me.

Demystifier said:
Others think I am weird, so they don't want to play with me.
Good that there is a nice playground here :smile:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Demystifier
Earlier I used to try and make atoms smash into each other to make hot glowing stuff to make electricity. The sun and other stars do that too!
Other people might break atoms apart to make electricity. The leftover stuff isn't good for you if it's lying about open, so I make drums to pack it up neatly and bury it underground where its safe.

Likes Sophia
People want computers to do things so they write it down and give it to me. I say it don't work like that and they say "how do you know, you got a crystal ball?" When it don't work they say "it doesn't matter how we got here the past is the past we need to think about going forward". I used to get what I wrote and show everyone that things happen like what I said, but then they don't like that so I don't do that anymore.

Everyone stays after home time and gets pizzas and cola and sometimes sleeps at their desks and people ring and get angry that they don't go home. When it still don't work the "PM" looks very tired and not happy and says sorry she has to go home tonight. And I go home too.

Likes Tontaun, quarkle and Bandersnatch
Sometimes I watch atoms jiggle for a long time and then learn stuff about what a protein does from the jiggling.