Describing 3d Manifold Objects as a Hypersurface

In summary, a closed (regular) manifold in 3d Euclidean space can be described uniquely by the combination of volume, centroid, and second moments of area. A hypersurface has codimension 1 and can be realized as an 11 dimensional manifold in 12 space.
decentMO
Hello, an engineer here that is trying to understand more in topology for some mechanics ideas. It seems to me that any closed (regular) manifold in 3d Euclidean space should be able to be describe uniquely by the combination of the following 1) volume [1 real], 2) centroid [3 reals], and 3) second moments of area [9 reals cast to 7 since third axis is orthogonal to cross of 1st and 2nd]. The surface is defined of the object as C0 or higher. Can anyone give any direction as to confirming this conjecture? Is there an 11-dimensional hypersurface that is known that defines the permissible (manifold) objects in R3?

Physics news on Phys.org
decentMO said:
Hello, an engineer here that is trying to understand more in topology for some mechanics ideas. It seems to me that any closed (regular) manifold in 3d Euclidean space should be able to be describe uniquely by the combination of the following 1) volume [1 real], 2) centroid [3 reals], and 3) second moments of area [9 reals cast to 7 since third axis is orthogonal to cross of 1st and 2nd]. The surface is defined of the object as C0 or higher. Can anyone give any direction as to confirming this conjecture? Is there an 11-dimensional hypersurface that is known that defines the permissible (manifold) objects in R3?
In the standard setup you can only embed ##n-## manifolds in ##n-## dimensional space or lower. By the same setup , a hypersuface has codimension 1 , i.e., lives in dimension of the surface+1.

i think he is asking whether the space parametrizing all solids? in 3 space can itself be realized as an 11 dimensional manifold in I guess 12 space. This is of course not a topological question since he is using volume and area, but a question in differential geometry.

mathwonk said:
i think he is asking whether the space parametrizing all solids? in 3 space can itself be realized as an 11 dimensional manifold in I guess 12 space. This is of course not a topological question since he is using volume and area, but a question in differential geometry.

Yes, that's it. Thank you for clarifying for me and my apologies as I am not familiar with the differences between topology and differential geometry. Would it be helpful to move this question to a different forum? I'm want to do some reading on this subject but I'm not sure where to start in the right direction, so if you have salient reading recommendations, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

1. What is a 3D manifold object?

A 3D manifold object is a mathematical concept that describes a surface or shape that can be represented in three dimensions. It is a structure that is locally similar to Euclidean space, meaning that at any point on the surface, the space around it appears flat, like a sheet of paper.

2. How is a 3D manifold object different from a regular 3D object?

A 3D manifold object is different from a regular 3D object in that it may have more than three dimensions, but when projected into three dimensions, it appears the same as a regular 3D object. Additionally, a regular 3D object has a finite volume, while a 3D manifold object has an infinite volume.

3. What is a hypersurface in relation to a 3D manifold object?

A hypersurface is a mathematical term that refers to a surface with one fewer dimension than the space it is embedded in. In the case of a 3D manifold object, it is a 2D surface that exists within the 3D space. It is an important concept in describing and understanding 3D manifold objects.

4. How can 3D manifold objects be described as hypersurfaces?

In mathematics, a 3D manifold object can be represented as a hypersurface using a set of equations or coordinates. These equations or coordinates describe the relationships between the dimensions of the object and the space it is embedded in. This allows for a more abstract and precise representation of the object.

5. What are some examples of 3D manifold objects in real life?

Some examples of 3D manifold objects in real life include spheres, cylinders, and tori. These objects are all surfaces that can be represented as hypersurfaces in three-dimensional space. Other examples include the surface of a balloon, a coffee mug, or a donut.