Designing a DC transmission line

In summary, the task is to design a DC transmission line using aluminum wires to transmit 225 MW of electricity over a distance of 185 km with a 2.0% power loss. The required equations are P=IV=I^2*R and R=p(L/A). Transformers are not needed in this case and the design involves determining the length and cross-sectional area of the wire.
togahockey15

Homework Statement

Design a dc transmission line that can transmit 225 MW of electricity 185 km with
only a 2.0% loss. The wires are to be made of aluminum and the voltage is 660 kV.

2. Homework Equations

P= IV = I^2 * R
R= p(L/A)
Power loss = Pf - Pi

Attempt at a solution
I worked through the equations above and found that the cross-sectional area of the wire, if it were a straight wire, would be equal to 1.27*10^-4 square meters. However, I have a bad feeling that this question might be asking for an answer in terms of step-up and step-down transformers, which is a topic I could definitely need some assistance with. Could anyone help explain this to me? My textbook wasn't too helpful... Thanks alot!

Physics news on Phys.org
1) It's asking for a DC transmission line, while transformers are AC devices.
2) It does not mention the any step-down voltages.
3) If you're only given four numbers, you're likely to only use equations with four or fewer numbers. Certainly, any realistic problem involving transformers will have many more important numbers than this problem provides.

You're definitely doing the right thing by just considering the I^2 R loss.

- Warren

Hey Warren,
This is probably a dumb question, but what exactly do they mean by transmission line, then?

-Nick

In this case, a piece of wire. :)

- Warren

Transformers are part of an AC system so you don't need to worry about them. You more or less listed the equations you need. Since they've already provided you with a set voltage source, all you really need to consider for this design is the transmission line.

So would the design simply be how long the wire is and what its cross-sectional area should be?

togahockey15 said:
So would the design simply be how long the wire is and what its cross-sectional area should be?
Yes (and some extra letters because you can't have a reply < 4characters)

1. What is a DC transmission line?

A DC transmission line is a system that is used to transfer direct current (DC) electrical energy from one location to another. It is typically made up of conductors, insulators, and supporting structures, and is designed to efficiently transport large amounts of electrical power over long distances.

2. What factors are considered when designing a DC transmission line?

When designing a DC transmission line, factors such as the distance between the two locations, the amount of power to be transmitted, the terrain, and the weather conditions must be taken into account. The type of conductor, insulator, and supporting structures also play a role in the design.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC transmission lines?

The main difference between AC and DC transmission lines is the type of current they carry. AC (alternating current) lines carry electricity that periodically reverses direction, while DC (direct current) lines carry electricity that flows in only one direction. DC lines are typically used for longer distances and higher power transmission, while AC lines are more commonly used for shorter distances and lower power transmission.

4. How is the voltage level determined for a DC transmission line?

The voltage level for a DC transmission line is determined based on the amount of power to be transmitted and the distance between the two locations. Higher voltage levels are used for longer distances and higher power transmission to minimize energy losses. The voltage level is also determined based on the capabilities of the supporting structures and insulation materials used.

5. What are some common challenges faced when designing a DC transmission line?

Some common challenges faced when designing a DC transmission line include finding suitable locations for the line, obtaining necessary permits and approvals, dealing with environmental and community concerns, and ensuring the line is designed to withstand extreme weather conditions. Additionally, the cost of materials and construction can also be a challenge when designing a DC transmission line.