Detect exoplanets by yourself with the cheapest equipment

In summary, a 7.7 magnitude star was detected with a drop in brightness of 2.8% during a 2-hour transit. The setup used was a tele-photo lens, a camera, and an equatorial mount. The method used was basically the same as Alberto's, with some automated processes.
alberto91
Hi guys,

I detected my first exoplanet (hd 189733 b) and made a video about it showing step by step how I did it. I thought it could be useful for the people interested in the topic or already starting with transit photometry.

The star has an apparent magnitude of 7.7 and the exoplanet produces a drop of 2.8% during almost 2 hours.

I used a tele-photo lens (the Pentacon 135 mm f 2.8), a CMOS camera (ZWO ASI 120 MM) and an equatorial mount (Skywatcher EQ3-2)

I also have a dual-axis motor drive, but a simple one that only controls the right ascension would be enough.

I bought most of the items second-hand from Ebay and I spent around 300 euros.

To set up the tele-photo lens and the camera I have a couple of guide rings and in order to focus the tele-photo lens, I have to separate it 33 mm from the camera by using for example 2 M42 extension rings, one of them 28 mm long and the other one 5 mm.

Now, the steps to detect the exoplanet are the following:
  1. Find out when is the exoplanet going to transit the star with the Exoplanet Transit Database.
  2. With a program called SharpCap, take for example 5-second exposures with a gain of 1 for 3 hours.
  3. Once the transit has finished, with a program called ‘AstroImageJ’ open all the images, select the target star and for example a couple of reference stars, and perform multi-aperture photometry to detect the light curve.
I think it is better explained with a video:

Last edited:
Likes Bandersnatch, Andy Resnick, davenn and 3 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Very nice. I managed to image a transit of Tres-3b a number of years ago using an 8-inch telescope.

Likes alberto91
Drakkith said:
Very nice. I managed to image a transit of Tres-3b a number of years ago using an 8-inch telescope.

Thanks ! wow that is awesome :)

Drakkith said:
Care to describe your setup and methods, and how they differed (if at all) from Alberto's?

Bandersnatch said:
Care to describe your setup and methods, and how they differed (if at all) from Alberto's?
Major equipment:
8-inch telescope at F/8
Atlas EQ-G Mount
SBIG-2000XM camera

My method was essentially the same as Alberto's. Find the target star, take an exposure very X amount of seconds such that neither my target nor reference stars were overexposed, and then process them. Align all the images and find the average of several reference stars in the FOV for each exposure and then compare that value to the measured value of your target. Do this for each frame and then plot the results. Luckily most of the processing was a semi-automated process with the software I was using.

Likes Bandersnatch
Drakkith said:
Major equipment:
8-inch telescope at F/8
Atlas EQ-G Mount
SBIG-2000XM camera

My method was essentially the same as Alberto's. Find the target star, take an exposure very X amount of seconds such that neither my target nor reference stars were overexposed, and then process them. Align all the images and find the average of several reference stars in the FOV for each exposure and then compare that value to the measured value of your target. Do this for each frame and then plot the results. Luckily most of the processing was a semi-automated process with the software I was using.

Indeed! I'm glad more people are interested in this :)

1. How can I detect exoplanets on my own with inexpensive equipment?

To detect exoplanets on your own, you will need a telescope with a large aperture (at least 6 inches) and a sensitive digital camera. You can also use a spectrometer to analyze the light from stars and look for changes in the wavelength, indicating a planet orbiting the star.

2. What is the cheapest equipment I can use to detect exoplanets?

The cheapest equipment for detecting exoplanets would be a telescope with a large aperture, a digital camera, and a spectrometer. You can also use open-source software, such as TransitFinder, to analyze your data and search for exoplanets.

3. Do I need any specialized knowledge or training to detect exoplanets?

While having a background in astronomy and physics can be helpful, it is not necessary to have specialized knowledge or training to detect exoplanets on your own. With the right equipment and resources, anyone can participate in exoplanet detection.

4. How long does it take to detect an exoplanet with inexpensive equipment?

The time it takes to detect an exoplanet with inexpensive equipment can vary depending on factors such as the sensitivity of your equipment, the stability of your observing location, and the frequency of observations. It can take anywhere from a few hours to a few months to detect an exoplanet.

5. Can I contribute my findings to the scientific community?

Yes, you can contribute your findings to the scientific community by submitting your data to online databases such as the Exoplanet Transit Database or the American Association of Variable Star Observers (AAVSO). This allows your data to be used by other researchers and helps to advance our understanding of exoplanets.