Detecting hydrogen inside IMC's and GMC's

• Thread starter dougettinger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydrogen
In summary, hydrogen detection in galaxies involves looking for characteristic lines in spectra at high temperatures and using light to detect it at low temperatures. Molecular hydrogen is the only form with sufficient density to create Bok globules. Hydrogen can be detected at temperatures above 100 degrees Kelvin, and all three forms of hydrogen (H I, H II, and H2) are detectable but may have different temperature preferences.
dougettinger
I am looking for a brief summary of current hydrogen detection within galaxies.

How are H I and H II detected? Is there a minimum required temperature and/or density ?
How is molecular hydrogen detected? Is this the only form of hydrogen with sufficient density that can become opaque thereby creating Bok globules?

Gas to gas, Doug Ettinger

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I can't address the details. However, in general, hydrogen at high temperature has its own characteristic lines in spectra. At low temperature, hydrogen is detected by light shining through it (gas clouds) where the hydrogen lines show up as darkening.

I remember reading that hydrogen cannot be detected by emission lines below 100 degrees Kelvin. So below this temperature how is hydrogen detected ?

Hydrogen is in basically three forms in interstellar space: only one proton, one proton and one neutron, and a hydrogen molecule, H2. Are all these forms equally detectable ? Does each type of isotope prefer a certain temperature range?

Regards, Doug Ettinger

Currently, hydrogen (H) detection within galaxies is primarily done through the use of radio telescopes. This is because hydrogen emits a specific wavelength of light at 21 centimeters (cm), which can be detected by radio telescopes. This method allows scientists to map the distribution and movement of hydrogen gas within galaxies.

H I (neutral atomic hydrogen) and H II (ionized atomic hydrogen) can be detected through their 21 cm emission using radio telescopes. However, the detection of H II requires a higher density of hydrogen gas compared to H I. The minimum required density for H II detection is typically around 100 atoms per cubic centimeter (cm^3).

Molecular hydrogen (H2) can also be detected through its rotational and vibrational transitions at infrared and radio wavelengths. However, the detection of H2 is more challenging as it requires higher temperatures and densities compared to atomic hydrogen. The minimum required density for H2 detection is typically around 10^3-10^4 atoms per cm^3.

Bok globules, which are dense, dark clouds of gas and dust in space, are primarily composed of molecular hydrogen. However, other forms of hydrogen, such as H I and H II, can also contribute to their opacity. The high density of molecular hydrogen in Bok globules is what allows them to become opaque and create the dark patches we see in the night sky.

What is the purpose of detecting hydrogen inside IMC's and GMC's?

The purpose of detecting hydrogen inside interstellar molecular clouds (IMC's) and giant molecular clouds (GMC's) is to understand their chemical composition and dynamics. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe and plays a critical role in the formation of stars and planets. By studying the hydrogen content in these clouds, scientists can gain insights into the processes that shape our universe.

How do scientists detect hydrogen inside IMC's and GMC's?

Scientists use a variety of methods to detect hydrogen inside IMC's and GMC's. One common technique is through radio astronomy, where telescopes are used to detect the radio emissions of hydrogen atoms. Another method is through spectroscopy, where the absorption or emission of light at specific wavelengths can reveal the presence of hydrogen molecules.

Why is it important to detect hydrogen inside IMC's and GMC's?

Detecting hydrogen inside IMC's and GMC's is important because it allows scientists to understand the conditions and processes that lead to the formation of stars and planets. Hydrogen is a key component in the formation of molecular clouds, and studying its properties can provide valuable insights into the evolution of these clouds and the objects that form within them.

What can the detection of hydrogen inside IMC's and GMC's tell us about the universe?

The detection of hydrogen inside IMC's and GMC's can tell us about the overall structure and composition of the universe. By studying the distribution and properties of hydrogen in these clouds, scientists can better understand the origins of galaxies, the formation of stars and planets, and the overall evolution of the universe.

Are there any limitations to detecting hydrogen inside IMC's and GMC's?

Yes, there are limitations to detecting hydrogen inside IMC's and GMC's. One limitation is that some molecular clouds may have low levels of hydrogen, making it difficult to detect. Additionally, the presence of other elements and molecules in these clouds can also impact the accuracy of hydrogen detection methods. Scientists are constantly working to improve their techniques and overcome these limitations in order to gain a better understanding of the universe.