Determinants and inverses of matrices

In summary: The determinant of this matrix is \frac{1}{ad- bc}\begin{pmatrix}d & -b \\ -c & a\end{pmatrix}=1.You can also find the inverse of a matrix by solving the equation for the inverse in the same way you found the original matrix. eildYes, it most certainly is,This is the rule of manipulating equations:if A=B, then (whatever I do to A)=(the same thing I do to B)so, if PX=Q, then multiplying the left side by P-1 will be still equal to multiplying the right side of the equation by
thornluke

Homework Statement

P=\begin{pmatrix}3 & -1\\
2 & 4
\end{pmatrix}

Q=\begin{pmatrix}4 & -1\\
-2 & 1
\end{pmatrix}

R=\begin{pmatrix}3 & -3\\
2 & 4
\end{pmatrix}

S=\begin{pmatrix}4 & 7\\
9 & 1
\end{pmatrix}

PX = Q
QY = R
RZ = S

Find Matrices X, Y, and Z.

Homework Equations

ad - bc = det

How do I use things regarding the topic of determinants and inverses of matrices to solve this question? :confused:

Cheers,
Thorn

Physics news on Phys.org
If you multiply the equation PX=Q with the inverse of P from the left, you get :

P-1PX=X=P-1Q.

First find the inverse of P.

ehild

Last edited:
Though it is not necessary to actually find any determinants and inverse matrices. I would use "row reduction" instead. Have you studied row reduction yet and how have you learned to find determinants and inverses?

HallsofIvy said:
Though it is not necessary to actually find any determinants and inverse matrices. I would use "row reduction" instead. Have you studied row reduction yet and how have you learned to find determinants and inverses?

Not yet, I'm still new to this topic. In fact, I am still rather rusty with matrix multiplication, although I am getting better at it.

ehild said:
If you multiply the equation PX=Q with the inverse of P from the left, you get :

P-1PX=X=P-1Q.

First find the inverse of P.

ehild

Is that a rule of some sort?

It is pretty much the definition of "inverse"! If A is a matrix, [itex]A^{-1}[/itex] is its inverse if and only if [tex]A^{-1}A= AA^{-1}= I[/tex]

If Ax= b then [itex]A^{-1}(Ax)= A^{-1}b[/itex], [itex](A^{-1}A)x= A^{-1}b[/itex] (associative law for matrix multiplication), [itex]Ix= x= A^{-1}b[/itex].

thornluke said:
Is that a rule of some sort?
Yes, it most certainly is,
This is the rule of manipulating equations
you have A=B, therefore (whatever I do to A)=(the same thing I do to B)
So, if PX=Q, then multiplying the left side by P-1 will be still equal to multiplying the right side of the equation by also P-1
hence, P-1.P.X=P-1.Q
then, since P-1 is by definition such that P-1P=I (identity)
then it follows that X(=P-1.P).X=P-1Q
You would do he same thing if it was 'regular' algebra
ax=y => x=y/a, , that would come from ax=y => ax/a=y/a => x=y/a, and you have to take the same care here: is a!=0 ? (for matrices, this will translate to, is a inversible ?) with the additional dificulty that multiplication is not commutative, so you must be careful with your handling of the equations

thornluke said:
Not yet, I'm still new to this topic. In fact, I am still rather rusty with matrix multiplication, although I am getting better at it.

Then find the matrix T[itex]=\begin{pmatrix}a & b\\
c & d
\end{pmatrix}[/itex] so as the product of T and P is the unit matrix U[itex]=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0\\
0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]: TP=U.
Show the multiplication in detail.

thornluke said:
Well, you probably will have it soon. It is a much simpler way to find inverses and solve systems, especially for very large matrices. Here these matrices are all "2 by 2", especially easy. You probably already know that for the matrix
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
the determinant is ad- bc. And its inverse matrix is
[tex]\frac{1}{ad- bc}\begin{pmatrix}d & -b \\ -c & a\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

1. What is a determinant of a matrix?

A determinant of a matrix is a real number that is calculated from the elements of the matrix and is used to determine certain properties of the matrix, such as whether it is invertible or singular.

2. How is the determinant of a matrix calculated?

The determinant of a matrix can be calculated by using various techniques, such as expanding along a row or column, or using cofactor expansion. The specific method used will depend on the size and complexity of the matrix.

3. What is the significance of a matrix having a determinant of 0?

If a matrix has a determinant of 0, it is considered to be singular, meaning it is not invertible. This means that the system of equations represented by the matrix has either no solution or infinitely many solutions.

4. How is the inverse of a matrix calculated?

The inverse of a matrix is calculated by using the determinant and the adjugate matrix. The adjugate matrix is found by taking the transpose of the matrix of cofactors, which are calculated by finding the determinants of each minor matrix within the original matrix.

5. Can all matrices be inverted?

No, not all matrices can be inverted. Only square matrices that have a non-zero determinant can be inverted. If a matrix is not invertible, it is considered to be singular.