Solve the given vector problem

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses a past paper question and its markscheme, specifically regarding a question on finding parallel vectors. The markscheme gives different methods for finding the answer and awards marks for using these methods correctly. The conversation also mentions a possible oversight in the markscheme and acknowledges the insight of the expert.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
This is an international past paper question- I have attached the question and the markscheme... the ms was a bit confusing for 2 marks hence my post.
Relevant Equations
vectors.
This is an international past paper question- I have attached the question and the markscheme... the ms was a bit confusing for 2 marks hence my post.

Question; interest is on part iii. only

1673515205191.png

Mark scheme solution;

1673515315922.png
My thinking;

Let

##OD=λOA## Where ##λ## is a scalar.

##OD=λ
\begin{pmatrix}
2 & \\
-3 & \\
\end{pmatrix}##

Let

##DC=κOB## Where ##κ## is a scalar.

##DC=κ
\begin{pmatrix}
11 & \\
42 & \\
\end{pmatrix}##

##OD+DC=OC##

##λ
\begin{pmatrix}
2 & \\
-3 & \\
\end{pmatrix}

\begin{pmatrix}
11 & \\
42 & \\
\end{pmatrix}
=
\begin{pmatrix}
5 & \\
12 & \\
\end{pmatrix}
##

We end up with the simultaneous equation;

##2λ+11κ=5##
##-3λ+42κ=12##

##39λ=26##

##λ=\dfrac{2}{3}##

therefore,

##OD=\dfrac{2}{3}
\begin{pmatrix}
2 & \\
-3 & \\
\end{pmatrix}=\dfrac{4}{3} i -2j
##

Unless, there is something i have overlooked on the ms... the question ought to have been given more marks...cheers

Your insight highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The mark scheme seems pretty consistent in awarding one mark for choosing a correct method and one mark for getting the correct answer using that method. So part (i) is worth two marks: one for observing that [itex]\vec{AB} = \vec{OB} - \vec{OA}[/itex] and one for doing the subtraction. Part (ii) is worth 4 marks: 2 for finding [itex]\vec{OC}[/itex] and 2 for calculating its length. Part (iii) is worth 2 marks: one for stating a condition which ensures that [itex]\vec{DC}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{OB}[/itex] are parallel, and one for using that condition to find [itex]\vec{OD}[/itex].

For part (iii), the mark scheme gives two methods to find [itex]\vec{OD}[/itex], each of which get the same number of marks:
  • If [itex]\vec{DC}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{OB}[/itex] are parallel, then [itex]OAB[/itex] and [itex]DAC[/itex] are similar triangles. We know [itex]\vec{AC} = \frac13 \vec{AB}[/itex], so [itex]\vec{AD} = \frac13\vec{AO}[/itex] and hence [itex]\vec{OD} = \frac23 \vec{OA}[/itex]. (This is the most obvious method if you've drawn a diagram.)
  • If vectors are parallel then the ratios of the [itex]\mathbf{i}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{j}[/itex] components are equal; we know that [itex]\vec{DC} = (5 - 2\lambda)\mathbf{i} + (12 + 3\lambda)\mathbf{j}[/itex] for some [itex]\lambda[/itex] and we know [itex]\vec{OB}[/itex].
So whatever method you use to determine [itex]\vec{OD}[/itex], and yours involves more steps than both of these, you get one method mark and one answer mark.

Last edited:
Likes chwala

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is often represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

How do you solve a vector problem?

To solve a vector problem, you need to first identify the given vectors and their respective magnitudes and directions. Then, you can use vector addition, subtraction, or scalar multiplication to manipulate the vectors and find the resulting vector. Finally, you can use trigonometry or the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude and direction of the resulting vector.

What is vector addition?

Vector addition is the process of combining two or more vectors to find the resulting vector. It is done by placing the vectors tip-to-tail and drawing a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the tip of the last vector. The resulting vector is the sum of the original vectors.

What is vector subtraction?

Vector subtraction is the process of finding the difference between two vectors. It is done by reversing the direction of the second vector and then adding it to the first vector using the same method as vector addition. The resulting vector is the difference between the original vectors.

What is scalar multiplication?

Scalar multiplication is the process of multiplying a vector by a scalar (a number). This results in a new vector with the same direction as the original vector, but with a different magnitude. To perform scalar multiplication, you simply multiply the magnitude of the vector by the scalar.