1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine if a transformation is linear.

1. Mar 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Please see attached files and let me know if I am correct or not.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can't say whether you are correct or not. You just wrote a bunch of stuff down. Are they linear or not?

4. Mar 2, 2013 #3
    What do you mean, I just wrote a bunch of stuff down? They are two separate transformations. I applied arbitrary vectors to them and attempted to prove if T(u+v) = T(u)+T(v) as well as T(cu)=cT(u)
    In the first transformation, it appears that the first definition is not satisfied and in the second problem, the second definition is not satisfied. Therefore, I do not believe either are linear, however I am not certain if I am doing this properly.

5. Mar 2, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's exactly what I was asking for. I wanted to know your conclusions from what you wrote down. Correct that thay are both not linear. If you want to prove that just come up with specific examples of u, v and c (with numbers in them) where T(u+v)=T(u)+T(v) or T(cu)=cT(u) don't work.

6. Mar 2, 2013 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Since when is [itex]3^a + 3^b = 3^{a+b}[/itex]?

7. Mar 2, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That was my point. Just writing these things down doesn't say whether the poster believes them to be correct or incorrect. I'm not sure what writing a check next to it means.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted