Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine if all vectors of form (a,0,0) are subspace of R3

1. Jan 21, 2015 #1
    I have the feeling that it is, but Im not really sure how to start the proof. I know I have to prove both closure axioms; u,v ∈ W, u+v ∈ W and k∈ℝ and u∈W then ku ∈ W.
    Do I just pick a vector arbitrarily say a vector v = (x,y,z) and go from there?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2015 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

pick vectors that are of the form (a,0,0), and otherwise arbitrary.

4. Jan 21, 2015 #3
    proving u+v
    let u, v ∈ W
    u=(a1,0,0) v= (a2,0,0)
    u+v = (a1+a2, 0,0) ∈ W
    ∴u+v ∈ W

am i anywhere close to doing that right?

5. Jan 21, 2015 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that's the right way to do it.

6. Jan 21, 2015 #5
    Thank you guys, I really appreciate the help.

7. Jan 24, 2015 #6

Svein

Science Advisor

The usual way is to determine the subspace ⊥ (a, 0, 0) - which is the subspace spanned by all vectors (x, y, z) such that (a, 0, 0)⋅(x, y, z) = 0. Since the scalar product is ax, this means that x = 0 and thus the normal subspace is spanned by (0, 1, 0) and (0, 0, 1). Therefore the original subspace has dimension 1 and is spanned by (1, 0, 0).

8. Jan 24, 2015 #7

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is true, but all you have to do to see it is to write ##(a,0,0)=a(1,0,0,)##.

9. Jan 24, 2015 #8

Svein

Science Advisor

Yes, in this case it is easy. But if the specification had been more complicated, having a standard recipe is not a bad idea.

10. Jan 24, 2015 #9
    Svein thanks for that, it clears up the concept a little more.

11. Jan 24, 2015 #10

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The orthogonal complement of a set ##S## is defined as the set ##S^\perp## of all vectors that are orthogonal to all the vectors in ##S##.

What Svein described is how to find the orthogonal complement of the orthogonal complement of the set W. This is always a subspace, even if W isn't. If you know this, you can find out if ##W## is a subspace by checking if ##W^{\perp\perp}=W##. This is rarely (never?) the easiest way to do it.

12. Jan 25, 2015 #11

Svein

Science Advisor

Well, in the [itex]l_{2}[/itex] space (with the standard scalar product), this algorithm is used in proofs of completeness...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook