Determine Kp for N2(g) + 3H2 (g) \Updownarrow 2NH3(g)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
312213
Messages
52
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


H2 (g) + Cl2(g) [tex]\Updownarrow[/tex] 2HCl (g) Kp = 2.5 × 1033
NH3(g) + HCl(g) [tex]\Updownarrow[/tex] NH4Cl(s) Kp = 2.1 × 1015
N2(g) + 4H2(g) +Cl2 [tex]\Updownarrow[/tex] 2NH4Cl(s) Kp = 3.9 × 1070

Determine the Kp for N2(g) + 3H2 (g) [tex]\Updownarrow[/tex] 2NH3(g).

Homework Equations


Don't know/none


The Attempt at a Solution


In order to get to N2(g) + 3H2 (g) [tex]\Updownarrow[/tex] 2NH3(g), I would have to multiple/flip equations so that they result in the desired reaction set.
-(H2 (g) + Cl2(g) [tex]\Updownarrow[/tex] 2HCl (g) Kp = 2.5 × 1033)
-2(NH3(g) + HCl(g) [tex]\Updownarrow[/tex] NH4Cl(s) Kp = 2.1 × 1015)
N2(g) + 4H2(g) +Cl2 [tex]\Updownarrow[/tex] 2NH4Cl(s) Kp = 3.9 × 1070

These would cancel out to the desired reaction.

In Hess's Law, I understand that multiplying a step would mean its enthalpy gets multiplied by that number. If I flip a step, its enthalpy would inverse its sign.

In voltage calculation from standard reduction potentials, reversing the sign would inverse the potential for the step but multiplying the step does not affect the potential.

Originally I would just follow Hess's Law to calculate but I never did this for Kp and so I'm not sure the answer would be correct. How do I approach this problem and solving for Kp.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Just combine these reactions so that everything cancels out - you will be left with Kp=f(Kp1,Kp2,Kp3) (indices just to signal these are constants for each reaction given). That's all.
 
Ok thanks.

On a side note, I think the latex reference for some of the arrows are wrong.