1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine number of possible combinations.

1. Sep 19, 2013 #1
    Hello everybody. I have a simple combination problem.

If I am trying to generalize the number of possible combinations of a nxn block with n objects.

So lets say we have n=5.

If we have a 5x5 block (25 spaces) with 5 objects (assume objects cannot share spaces), what is the total number of combinations possible?

My first guess was 5^3 = 125, but that doesn't seem likely. I then played with the idea of holding one object static and trying to count the number of combinations of all the other objects. That didn't work. So here I am.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are the objects indistinguishable (if I flip two it counts as the same configuration)

If so, don't think of it as placing objects, think of it as picking spaces. You have 25 spaces, and you have to pick five of them to place objects. This then becomes the more general question: I have n things and I want to pick k of them, how do I do it? There's actually a function for this which is called the binomial coefficient (often read as "n choose k"). You might know it already, if not it is a good exercise to try to figure out the answer.

4. Sep 20, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... Or perhaps you mean there are 5 kinds of object (and an unlimited number of each)?

5. Sep 20, 2013 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hey, I have an idea ... btbam91, how about you tell us what you DO mean so we don't have to keep guessing?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted