Determine percentage of iron(II) and iron(III) in a solution

In summary: How? You have no easy control over how much zinc reacted. Thing you can easily measure is the amount of dichromate used for Fe(II) oxidation.
willidietomorrow
Please post this type of questions in the HW section using the template.
Hi I am stuck on the following question.
Outline a plan of an experiment to determine the percentage of iron present as iron(III) in a
solution containing Fe3+(aq) and Fe2+(aq) ions. You are provided with zinc, a standard
solution of potassium dichromate(VI) and dilute sulphuric acid. Zinc can reduce Fe3+(aq) to
Fe2+(aq).
Write equations for all the reactions that occur. Explain how you would use the zinc and
how you would calculate the final answer.

I know the following equations are involved but don't know the method.
2Fe3+ + Zn --> 2Fe2+ + Zn2+
6 Fe2+ + Cr2O7 2- + 14 H+ → 6 Fe3++ 2 Cr3+ + 7 H2O​

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Reducing Fe(II) to Fe with zinc is not easy, as they both happily react with water. Reducing Fe(III) to Fe(II) on the other hand, is quite easy.

Borek said:
Reducing Fe(II) to Fe with zinc is not easy, as they both happily react with water. Reducing Fe(III) to Fe(II) on the other hand, is quite easy.
Yes, sorry that was a mistake. I changed the equation.

Assuming you titrate the original sample - what do you determine?

Borek said:
Assuming you titrate the original sample - what do you determine?
Titrating the original solution against Cr2O72-, I will find the amount of Cr2O72- I need to convert all Fe2+ ions into Fe3+ ions. Also titrating against zinc will give the amount of Fe3+ ions in the solution.

willidietomorrow said:
Titrating the original solution against Cr2O72-, I will find the amount of Cr2O72- I need to convert all Fe2+ ions into Fe3+ ions.

Sure, finding the amount of dichromate used is a part of the calculations, but that's not what I was asking about. Amount of which ions you will find in the end of the calculations?

Borek said:
Sure, finding the amount of dichromate used is a part of the calculations, but that's not what I was asking about. Amount of which ions you will find in the end of the calculations?
Well, since I know the amount of dichromate I can find the amount of Fe2+ ions that reacted (dichromate x 6), so the titrated solution will only contain Fe3+ ions.

OK, so let's assume now you know how much Fe(II) there were in the solution. Can you think of a way of determining the total amount of iron?

Borek said:
OK, so let's assume now you know how much Fe(II) there were in the solution. Can you think of a way of determining the total amount of iron?
Alright, so I know the amount of Fe2+ and can also determine the amount of fe3+ using zinc. So I can do (amount of Fe2+) / (amount of Fe2+ + amount of Fe3+) *100. Would that be a correct procedure?

willidietomorrow said:
Alright, so I know the amount of Fe2+ and can also determine the amount of fe3+ using zinc.

Beware: what you wrote (while correct in general) may mean you are actually wrong in your thinking. Amount of Fe(III) can't be determined directly.

So I can do (amount of Fe2+) / (amount of Fe2+ + amount of Fe3+) *100. Would that be a correct procedure?

That's the definition of what you are expected to do, so yes, that's the correct approach (just see above).

Borek said:
Beware: what you wrote (while correct in general) may mean you are actually wrong in your thinking. Amount of Fe(III) can't be determined directly.
That's the definition of what you are expected to do, so yes, that's the correct approach (just see above).
Hmm why is not possible to determine the Fe3+ ion directly, isn't the reaction with zinc suppose to help with that?

willidietomorrow said:
Hmm why is not possible to determine the Fe3+ ion directly, isn't the reaction with zinc suppose to help with that?

Please describe step by step how you are going to determine amount of Fe(III) in the sample.

Borek said:
Please describe step by step how you are going to determine amount of Fe(III) in the sample.
Well I was thinking just to look at the amount of Fe3+ ions reduced by the zinc (assuming that only Fe3+ ions will be reduced to Fe2+).

willidietomorrow said:
Well I was thinking just to look at the amount of Fe3+ ions reduced by the zinc (assuming that only Fe3+ ions will be reduced to Fe2+).

How? You have no easy control over how much zinc reacted. Thing you can easily measure is the amount of dichromate used for Fe(II) oxidation.

1. How do you determine the percentage of iron(II) and iron(III) in a solution?

The percentage of iron(II) and iron(III) in a solution can be determined by using a redox titration method. This involves adding a known amount of a reducing agent to the solution, which will react with the iron(III) ions and convert them to iron(II) ions. The remaining iron(II) ions can then be titrated with a standard solution of an oxidizing agent. By comparing the volume of the oxidizing agent used in the titration to the known amount of reducing agent added, the percentage of iron(II) and iron(III) can be calculated.

2. What is the difference between iron(II) and iron(III)?

Iron(II) and iron(III) are different forms of iron with different oxidation states. Iron(II) has a +2 charge, while iron(III) has a +3 charge. This means that iron(II) has two electrons available for bonding, while iron(III) has three. This difference in charge and number of electrons can affect the reactivity and properties of these two forms of iron.

3. Why is it important to know the percentage of iron(II) and iron(III) in a solution?

Knowing the percentage of iron(II) and iron(III) in a solution is important for several reasons. Firstly, it can help determine the purity of the iron compound in the solution. Additionally, the percentage of iron(II) and iron(III) can also provide valuable information about the reactivity and stability of the solution, as well as its potential uses in various industries.

4. What are some common methods for determining the percentage of iron(II) and iron(III) in a solution?

Aside from redox titration, other common methods for determining the percentage of iron(II) and iron(III) in a solution include atomic absorption spectroscopy, inductively coupled plasma-optical emission spectroscopy, and colorimetric assays. These methods involve measuring the absorbance or emission of light by the iron ions in the solution, which can then be used to calculate the concentration and percentage of each form of iron.

5. Can the percentage of iron(II) and iron(III) in a solution change over time?

Yes, the percentage of iron(II) and iron(III) in a solution can change over time due to various factors such as exposure to air, changes in temperature, and the presence of other chemicals in the solution. It is important to regularly monitor and test the solution to ensure that the percentage of iron(II) and iron(III) remains consistent for accurate results and proper use of the solution.