1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine percentage of iron(II) and iron(III) in a solution

Tags:
  1. Jun 10, 2016 #1
    • Please post this type of questions in the HW section using the template.
    Hi I am stuck on the following question.
    Outline a plan of an experiment to determine the percentage of iron present as iron(III) in a
    solution containing Fe3+(aq) and Fe2+(aq) ions. You are provided with zinc, a standard
    solution of potassium dichromate(VI) and dilute sulphuric acid. Zinc can reduce Fe3+(aq) to
    Fe2+(aq).
    Write equations for all the reactions that occur. Explain how you would use the zinc and
    how you would calculate the final answer.

I know the following equations are involved but don't know the method.
    2Fe3+ + Zn --> 2Fe2+ + Zn2+
    6 Fe2+ + Cr2O7 2- + 14 H+ → 6 Fe3++ 2 Cr3+ + 7 H2O​

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2016 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Reducing Fe(II) to Fe with zinc is not easy, as they both happily react with water. Reducing Fe(III) to Fe(II) on the other hand, is quite easy.

4. Jun 10, 2016 #3
    Yes, sorry that was a mistake. I changed the equation.

5. Jun 10, 2016 #4

Borek

Assuming you titrate the original sample - what do you determine?

6. Jun 10, 2016 #5
    Titrating the original solution against Cr2O72-, I will find the amount of Cr2O72- I need to convert all Fe2+ ions into Fe3+ ions. Also titrating against zinc will give the amount of Fe3+ ions in the solution.

7. Jun 10, 2016 #6

Borek

Sure, finding the amount of dichromate used is a part of the calculations, but that's not what I was asking about. Amount of which ions you will find in the end of the calculations?

8. Jun 10, 2016 #7
    Well, since I know the amount of dichromate I can find the amount of Fe2+ ions that reacted (dichromate x 6), so the titrated solution will only contain Fe3+ ions.

9. Jun 10, 2016 #8

Borek

OK, so let's assume now you know how much Fe(II) there were in the solution. Can you think of a way of determining the total amount of iron?

10. Jun 10, 2016 #9
    Alright, so I know the amount of Fe2+ and can also determine the amount of fe3+ using zinc. So I can do (amount of Fe2+) / (amount of Fe2+ + amount of Fe3+) *100. Would that be a correct procedure?

11. Jun 10, 2016 #10

Borek

Beware: what you wrote (while correct in general) may mean you are actually wrong in your thinking. Amount of Fe(III) can't be determined directly.

That's the definition of what you are expected to do, so yes, that's the correct approach (just see above).

12. Jun 10, 2016 #11
    Hmm why is not possible to determine the Fe3+ ion directly, isn't the reaction with zinc suppose to help with that?

13. Jun 10, 2016 #12

Borek

Please describe step by step how you are going to determine amount of Fe(III) in the sample.

14. Jun 10, 2016 #13
    Well I was thinking just to look at the amount of Fe3+ ions reduced by the zinc (assuming that only Fe3+ ions will be reduced to Fe2+).

15. Jun 10, 2016 #14

Borek

How? You have no easy control over how much zinc reacted. Thing you can easily measure is the amount of dichromate used for Fe(II) oxidation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted