Determine the length of the curve sin(x)

In summary, the measure of the sin(x) wave from x=0 to 2∏ is given by the integral \int^{2\pi}_0\sqrt{\cos(x)^2+1} dx. This is equivalent to the length of the graph of y= f(x) from x= a to x= b, which is represented by the integral \int_{x=a}^b \sqrt{1+ f'(x)^2}dx. However, this cannot be solved using elementary functions and requires methods such as numerical integration, Simpson's rule, or approximations.
Loren Booda
What is the measure of the sin(x) wave for x=0 to 2∏?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's [tex]\int^{2\pi}_0\sqrt{\cos(x)^2+1} dx[/tex]

That's what I got. Would one need a table of integrals to determine its numerical value?

Pretty straight forward, isn't it? Considering the other problems you have posted on here, you should be able to do this.

The length of the graph of y= f(x), from x= a to x= b, is given by
[tex]\int_{x=a}^b \sqrt{1+ f'(x)^2}dx[/tex]
With y= f(x)= sin(x), f'(x)= cos(x) so that becomes
[tex]\int_{x=0}^{2\pi} \sqrt{1+ cos^2(x)}dx[/tex]
However, that looks to me like a version of an elliptical integral which cannot be done in terms of elementary functions.

Hey, no fair posting while I'm typing!

HallsofIvy said:
However, that looks to me like a version of an elliptical integral which cannot be done in terms of elementary functions.
Yep. It's 4√2E(1/2), where E(x) is the complete elliptical integral of the second kind.

to get a numerical value try numerical integration, simpson's rule? etc...

this is no worse than finding the area under the curve from 0 to 1. i.e. both are approximations.(nobody knows what cos(1) is.)

1. What does it mean to "determine the length of a curve"?

When we say "determine the length of a curve," we are referring to finding the total distance along the curve from one point to another. This is commonly done in mathematics and physics to understand the shape and properties of a curve.

2. How is the length of a curve calculated?

The length of a curve can be calculated using a mathematical method called integration. This involves breaking the curve into infinitesimally small segments and adding them together to find the total length. For the curve sin(x), we use a specific integration formula to determine its length.

3. Why is the curve sin(x) often used to demonstrate length determination?

The curve sin(x) is a simple and well-known function that follows a smooth, continuous path. This makes it an ideal example for calculating the length of a curve as it is easy to visualize and understand. Moreover, the integration formula for this curve is relatively straightforward, making it a good introductory example for students.

4. Can the length of a curve sin(x) be determined without using integration?

No, the length of a curve cannot be determined without using integration. This is because the concept of length is inherently linked to the concept of distance, which requires integration to be accurately calculated. However, there are some approximation methods that can be used to estimate the length of a curve without using integration.

5. What real-life applications involve determining the length of a curve sin(x)?

The concept of determining the length of a curve is used in many fields, including engineering, physics, and computer graphics. For example, it is used to calculate the length of a path taken by a moving object, the shape of a rollercoaster track, or the trajectory of a projectile. In computer graphics, the length of a curve is used to create smooth and realistic animations.