1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the Magnitude of the instantaneous Velocity

1. Sep 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the Magnitude of the instantaneous velocity at T=5s
    Function is x=AT^2 + B
    A=2.1m/s^2
    B=2.8 M

2. Relevant equations
    The previous questions answered on this problem are:
    AVG Velocity is 16.8
    Displacement is 33.6 from 3s to 5s
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure how to find either magnitude or instantaneous velocity. I need it broken down to the most basic steps to understand.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you understand what the relationship is between position and velocity? Have you taken calculus?

4. Sep 30, 2014 #3
    I took calc and calc 2 about 4 years ago, I passed with A's but left school on military orders and have just gotten back into school. I forgot a lot of what I learned then.

5. Sep 30, 2014 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

so, do you understand what the relationship is between position and velocity?

6. Oct 1, 2014 #5
    No, no I do not.

7. Oct 1, 2014 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, do you think maybe my repeatedly asking you about it is a hint to look it up?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, but part of what we do is try to help people learn how to get answers on their own, not spoon-feed answers. The relationship between position and velocity is extremely basic and one of the things that is generally brought up early in calculus so you really should study it a bit if you want to understand this kind of problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted