Calculate Distance Traveled: Instantaneous vs. Average Velocity

In summary, the question was due to a misunderstanding. The student thought that integrating instantaneous velocity would give them the average velocity. However, velocity is a vector, and the average velocity is the same as the instantaneous velocity.
Slimy0233
Homework Statement
Velocity of a particle is ##\vec{v}=V_0\left[-\sin \omega t \hat{i}+\cos \omega t \hat{j}\right]##
##V_0, \omega## are constants.
Calc dist, displacement during time ##t = 0## to ##t = t_{0}##
Relevant Equations
##\vec{v}=V_0\left[-\sin \omega t \hat{i}+\cos \omega t \hat{j} \right]##
edit: I don't know why my latex isn't rendering, any help would be appreciated.

Edit 2: The question was due to a misunderstanding I had, I thought integrating instantaneous velocity would give me average velocity.

I have attached what I have tried so far. I had a doubt. Can you calculate the distance travelled by an object/particle using only the instantaneous velocity?

I mean, is the speed travelled by an object in time interval t = 0 to t = ##t_{0}##
S = ##V_{inst}*t_{0}##

My professor basically did this [Image with prof in it]

The other one is what I think the answer would be. I calculate the average velocity from instantaneous velocity by integrating ##V_{inst}## and then found out the average speed by finding the magnitude of the average velocity <vec{v}>

So, who is right? (I know I probably am wrong, but I want to know why)
DocScanner 18-Jun-2023 15-28.jpg
DocScanner 18-Jun-2023 15-34.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are asked to find a distance. Integrating a velocity gives displacement.
To find the distance travelled you need to integrate the speed, a magnitude, not a vector.
It just happens that in this case the speed is constant, so using the instantaneous speed is ok.

Likes MatinSAR and Slimy0233
I am really stupid to have asked this question, thank you for your reply!

hey @haruspex why is the avg velocity same as instantaneous velocity here?

Slimy0233 said:
hey @haruspex why is the avg velocity same as instantaneous velocity here?
No, the average velocity is not the same as the instantaneous velocity. Velocity is a vector, speed is its magnitude.
Look at what your prof did: found the speed by taking the magnitude of the velocity.
$$\left.\vec{v}=V_0[-\sin( \omega t )\hat{i}+\cos( \omega t )\hat{j} \right]$$
$$\vec{v}^2=V_0^2[(-\sin( \omega t ))^2+(\cos( \omega t ))^2]=V_0^2$$
So the speed is constant, and the average speed is the same as the instantaneous speed. The velocity is changing, though, because the direction keeps changing. Over time ##\frac{2\pi}{\omega}##, the average velocity is zero.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes malawi_glenn and Slimy0233
Slimy0233 said:
Homework Statement: Velocity of a particle is ##\left.\vec{v}=V_0[-\sin \omega t \hat{i}+\cos \omega t \hat{j}\right]## ##V_0, \omega## are constants Calc dist, displacement during time t = 0 to t = ##t_{0}##
Relevant Equations: $$\left.\vec{v}=V_0[-\sin \omega t \hat{i}+\cos \omega t \hat{j} \right]$$

I mean, is the speed travelled by an object in time interval t = 0 to t = t0
S = Vinst∗t0
Alarm. Speed has the same units as velocity.

Likes Slimy0233

1. What is the difference between instantaneous and average velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time, while average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time elapsed.

2. How do you calculate distance traveled using instantaneous velocity?

To calculate distance traveled using instantaneous velocity, you would need to integrate the instantaneous velocity function over a specific time interval.

3. Can instantaneous velocity be negative?

Yes, instantaneous velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial motion.

4. What is the relationship between instantaneous and average velocity on a distance-time graph?

The slope of a tangent line at any point on a distance-time graph represents the instantaneous velocity at that point. The average velocity can be calculated by finding the slope of the straight line connecting the initial and final positions on the graph.

5. How does acceleration affect the difference between instantaneous and average velocity?

If an object is accelerating, the instantaneous velocity will be constantly changing, leading to a larger difference between the instantaneous and average velocity. The larger the acceleration, the greater the difference between the two velocities will be.