Determine the solution set of the system using the echelon form

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of the Gauss algorithm to obtain the echelon form of a matrix and how it can be used to solve systems of equations. It was suggested to use the echelon form of the extended matrix to determine the solution set, and the possibility of simultaneously solving multiple systems using an extended matrix with multiple columns.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $\displaystyle{a:=\begin{pmatrix}2 & 1 & 0 & 5 \\ 1 & 0 & 1 & 1 \\ 4 & 1 &2 & 7\end{pmatrix}\in \mathbb{R}^{3\times4}}$ and $\displaystyle{b_1:=\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 1 \\ 1\end{pmatrix} , \ b_2:=\begin{pmatrix}-2 \\ 1 \\ 0\end{pmatrix} \in \mathbb{R}^3}$.

I applied the Gauss algorithm to get the echelon form of the matrix $a$ :
\begin{align*}\begin{pmatrix}2 & 1 & 0 & 5 \\ 1 & 0 & 1 & 1 \\ 4 & 1 &2 & 7\end{pmatrix} & \ \overset{R_2:R_2-\frac{1}{2}\cdot R_1}{\longrightarrow} \ \begin{pmatrix}2 & 1 & 0 & 5 \\ 0 & -\frac{1}{2} & 1 & -\frac{3}{2} \\ 4 & 1 &2 & 7\end{pmatrix} \\ &\ \overset{R_3:R_2-2\cdot R_1}{\longrightarrow} \ \begin{pmatrix}2 & 1 & 0 & 5 \\ 0 & -\frac{1}{2} & 1 & -\frac{3}{2} \\ 0 & -1 &2 & -3\end{pmatrix}\\ &\ \overset{R_3:R_2-2\cdot R_2}{\longrightarrow} \ \begin{pmatrix}2 & 1 & 0 & 5 \\ 0 & -\frac{1}{2} & 1 & -\frac{3}{2} \\ 0 & 0 &0 & 0\end{pmatrix}\end{align*}

Then I want to determine the solution set of the system $ax=b_i$ using the echelon form for $i=1$ and $i=2$.

Does this mean that we can use the echelon form of $a$ to calculate the solution or do we use the echelon form of the extended matrix $(a\mid b_i)$ ? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Then I want to determine the solution set of the system $ax=b_i$ using the echelon form for $i=1$ and $i=2$.

Does this mean that we can use the echelon form of $a$ to calculate the solution or do we use the echelon form of the extended matrix $(a\mid b_i)$ ?

Hey mathmari!

I'm afraid that we'll have to use the echelon form of the extended matrix $(a\mid b_i)$. (Thinking)

Alternatively we could use the echelon form of the extended matrix $(a\mid I_3)$ where $I_3$ is the 3x3 identity matrix. (Thinking)

You can do both problems at once by row reducing
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}2 & 1 & 0 & 5 & 1 & -2 \\ 1 & 0 & 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\ 4 & 1 & 2 & 7 & 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex] where the last two columns are [tex]b_1[/tex] and [tex]b_2[/tex].

Klas Van Aarsen's suggestion that you row reduce
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}2 & 1 & 0 & 5 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 1 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 0\\ 4 & 1 & 2 & 7 & 0 & 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]
uses the fact that once you have row reduced A, the same operations will have converted the identity matrix to [tex]A^{-1}[/tex].

1. What is the echelon form of a system of equations?

The echelon form of a system of equations is a way of organizing the equations in a system so that it is easier to determine the solution set. In this form, the equations are written in a triangular form with leading coefficients of 1 and all other coefficients equal to 0.

2. How is the echelon form used to determine the solution set?

The echelon form is used to determine the solution set by making it easier to identify the leading variables and their corresponding values. The leading variables are those with a coefficient of 1, and their values can be easily determined by back substitution.

3. What is the process for putting a system of equations into echelon form?

The process for putting a system of equations into echelon form involves using elementary row operations, such as multiplying a row by a constant, adding or subtracting rows, and swapping rows. These operations are applied to the equations in the system until they are in triangular form with leading coefficients of 1.

4. Can any system of equations be put into echelon form?

Yes, any system of equations can be put into echelon form. However, some systems may require more steps or operations than others to reach this form. It is also possible for a system to have no solution or infinitely many solutions, which can be determined by the echelon form.

5. Are there any limitations to using the echelon form to determine the solution set?

The echelon form can only be used to solve systems of linear equations. It cannot be used for systems involving non-linear equations or inequalities. Additionally, the echelon form may not always provide a unique solution, as some systems may have infinitely many solutions or no solutions at all.