Determine a matrix C such that T = CA has echelon form

In summary, the proposed solution for Reduced Row Echelon Form is to continue the Gauss algorithm and get the following:
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $$A=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 & 3 \\ 4 & 5 & 6 \\ 7 & 8 & 9\end{pmatrix}\in \mathbb{R}^{3\times 3}$$

I want to determine a matrix $C\in GL_3(\mathbb{R})$ such that $T:=C\cdot A$ has echelon form. Performing an elementary row operation is equivalent to multiplying an invertible matrix, right? (Wondering)

So do we apply the Gauss algorithm at $[A \ \mid \ I_3]$, and bring $A$ into echelon form, then the $3\times 3$-matrix that we get on the right side is the matrix $C$ that we are looking for, i.e. we get $[T \ \mid \ C]$ ?

I mean the following:
\begin{equation*}\begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 & 3 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 4 & 5 & 6 & 0 & 1 & 0\\ 7 & 8 & 9 & 0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\longrightarrow \begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 & 3 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & -3 & -6 & -4 & 1 & 0\\ 0 & -6 & -12 & -7 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\longrightarrow \begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 & 3 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & -3 & -6 & -4 & 1 & 0\\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & -2 & 1\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*}
(Wondering)

At the proposed solution they continue the Gauss algorithm and they get the following:
\begin{equation*}\begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 & 3 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 4 & 5 & 6 & 0 & 1 & 0\\ 7 & 8 & 9 & 0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\longrightarrow \begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 & 3 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & -3 & -6 & -4 & 1 & 0\\ 0 & -6 & -12 & -7 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\longrightarrow \begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 & 3 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 2 & \frac{4}{3} & -\frac{1}{3} & 0\\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & -2 & 1\end{pmatrix} \longrightarrow \begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 & -1 & -\frac{5}{3} & \frac{2}{3} & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 2 & \frac{4}{3} & -\frac{1}{3} & 0\\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & -2 & 1\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*} Why do they change also the first two rows although we already have the echelon form? Would it be wrong to stop the algrithm as I did it? I mean is it wrong to consider the matrices \begin{equation*}T=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 & 3 \\ 0 & -3 & -6 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix} \ \text{ and } \ C=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ -4 & 1 & 0 \\ 1 & -2 & 1\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*} ? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey mathmari!

There's a difference between Row Echelon Form (REF) and Reduced Row Echelon Form (RREF).
RREF means that:
  • It is in row echelon form.
  • Every leading coefficient is 1.
  • The leading coefficient is the only nonzero entry in its column.
(Thinking)

I like Serena said:
There's a difference between Row Echelon Form (REF) and Reduced Row Echelon Form (RREF).
RREF means that:
  • It is in row echelon form.
  • Every leading coefficient is 1.
  • The leading coefficient is the only nonzero entry in its column.
(Thinking)

At the exercise statement it is asked for Row Echelon Form:

View attachment 8386

So is the proposed solution for the case of Reduced Row Echelon Form and in the case of Row Echelon Form we could also do what I did? (Wondering)

Attachments

• treppenform.JPG
    treppenform.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 47
mathmari said:
At the exercise statement it is asked for Row Echelon Form:

So is the proposed solution for the case of Reduced Row Echelon Form and in the case of Row Echelon Form we could also do what I did? (Wondering)

Yep.
It looks as if the proposed solution went 'over the top'. (Emo)

I like Serena said:
Yep.
It looks as if the proposed solution went 'over the top'. (Emo)

Ok! Thank you! (Yes)

1. What is the role of matrix C in determining the echelon form of T?

Matrix C acts as a transformation matrix that maps the original matrix T to a new matrix CA, which has the desired echelon form. It essentially performs row operations on T to produce CA.

2. How does the echelon form of T relate to the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of matrix C?

The echelon form of T is determined by the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of matrix C. If C has distinct eigenvalues, then the echelon form of T will also have distinct eigenvalues. Additionally, the eigenvectors of C will correspond to the pivot columns of the echelon form of T.

3. Is it always possible to determine a matrix C such that T = CA has echelon form?

Yes, it is always possible to determine a matrix C that will transform T into a matrix with echelon form. This is because every matrix T can be transformed into an echelon form by performing row operations, and matrix C can be constructed to represent these row operations.

4. Can matrix C be unique for a given matrix T to have echelon form?

No, matrix C is not unique for a given matrix T to have echelon form. In fact, there can be infinitely many matrices C that will transform T into a matrix with echelon form. This is because there are multiple ways to perform the necessary row operations on T to achieve echelon form.

5. How can we determine the specific matrix C that will produce the desired echelon form of T?

In order to determine the specific matrix C, we can use the algorithm for computing the reduced row echelon form of a matrix. By performing the same row operations on the identity matrix, we can obtain the transformation matrix C that will produce the desired echelon form of T when multiplied by T.