Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine whether it is an onto function

1. May 8, 2010 #1
    If it is not an onto function, provide the range.

I have problems with these two

g: R -> R
    g(x) = x^2 + x
    g(x) = x^3

The book said g1 is neither onto nor 1-1, while g2 is both

I see how x^2 + x is not `1-1 function. But how come it is not onto? I mean R is real number, can be 343.3434534564656757 or 67.23123132 or anything that is real number. How can we quickly show that x^2 + x is not onto? There are -inf, inf real numbers, so how can we say there is a particular g(x) left out?
    One way I see is if x^2 + x = 0 and we get x = sqrt(-x) which is an i num

I see x^3 is a 1-1 because x1 = x2. in a similar way as in the case of g1, how can we be so sure that all real numbers can be produce?

In the book, things like x^3 its surjectiveness can be proven as following
    x^3 and if r is any real number in codomain of f, then real number cubic root of r is in the domain of f and since f(cubic root of r) = (cubic root of r)^3 = r, so f = R = range of f, so it is onto (copied from book)

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2010 #2
    [itex]x^2+x=(x+\frac{1}{2})^2-\frac{1}{4}[/itex], so [itex]g_1(x)>=-\frac{1}{4}[/itex]. So, for example, -1 is not in [itex]g_1(\mathbb{R})[/itex].

4. May 8, 2010 #3
    As for the second you if y is any real number then we can find x0 and x1 with x03<y<x13 (not difficult to prove - I'll leave the details to you).

The existence of some real number x such that x3=y then follows from the intermediate value theorem.

You probably need to find a proof of the IVP - try wiki.

PS. You also need to prove x3 is continuous.

Last edited: May 8, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook