1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining frequency of sound using a calibrated cathode ray oscilloscope

1. May 24, 2006 #1
    hi, i have an exam on wave properties in a week. and i found this on the syllabus. i cant remember learning it let alone what a cathode ray oscilloscope is (an electron gun thingymajig?) my textbooks dont explain it well. so if you know how to determine the frequency of sound using a calibrated cathode ray oscilloscope, please help. :eek: :bugeye: :cool: :confused: :surprised
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2006 #2
    A cathode ray oscilloscope is not much different from a voltmeter, except it visually displays voltage (x direction) vs. time (y direction).

Newer oscilloscopes have nice internal markers on the display, and are calibrated in a way that one can measure the period of the wave, the amount of time for one cycle of the sound wave occurs in.

Frequency = 1/period. This is how you calculate the frequency of the sound wave.
  4. May 25, 2006 #3
    yay thanks
  5. May 25, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

Small typo -- voltage is on the vertical y axis and time is on the horizontal x axis. Here's a link to a popular oscilloscope brand. You will probably recognize the instrument when you see it. To measure the period or frequency of a sound, you would connect your oscilloscope probe to a microphone output, and observe the time waveform on the 'scope display.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?