1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining half-life of a radioactive sample

1. Oct 6, 2007 #1
    If I know that a sample of X has a half-life of 270 years how do I confirm this experimentally? What data would I have to collect? How about if the half-life of X was much shorter i.e. in terms of days?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2007 #2
    Use some kind of device capable of measuring radiation quantitatively, like a geiger counter. With this, you can discover how much the sample is radiating at some point in time.

Where k, c, and A are unknown constants, x is the amount of radioactive matter remaining, L is the half-life, and t is time, you can reason out what measurements you'd need this way:

radiation (change in amount of radioactive material in the sample) = k multiplied by amount remaining
    dx / dt = k x
    dx / x = k dt
    ln x = k t + c (integrate both sides)
    x = A e^kt (exponentiate both sides, let A = e^c)

for the half-life:

0.5 A = A e^kL (half of the amount at t=0 will remain at t=L)
    (ln 0.5)/L = k

so from knowing L, you know k.

measure dx / dt, divide by k, and you know a value for x.

Repeat the same experiment at other times, recording x and t for each.

If the values you measure satisfy x = A e^kt for the value of k you calculated, then you are right about L.

If they do not work, you can use the equation to find the true value of k and L.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook