Determining Intermolecular Forces - Ionic Crystals and Network Solids?

In summary, the conversation discusses a worksheet on intermolecular forces and how to determine which forces are present in different compounds. The person asking the question is unsure about identifying ionic crystals and network solids, but ultimately gains a better understanding after discussing it in class.
kk727

Homework Statement

This is the worksheet:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:9jyqtuswY1AJ:www.chemmybear.com/groves/apch13_imfans.doc+ap+chem+pasadena+imf%27s&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Homework Equations

None, as far as I know

The Attempt at a Solution

This is probably way more simple than I'm assuming it to be...but I'm not sure how to tell what IMF's each compound has. My teacher said that everything at least has London Dispersion Forces, so I know how to figure that out. I have no problem finding dipoles, or determining if something is a hydrogen bond. How do you know if something is an ionic crystal or network solid? That's where I'm lost. Thanks!

Like, for example, KMnO4. How would I go about determining the forces present?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, we went over this in class, and I understand it much better now.

What are intermolecular forces?

Intermolecular forces are the attractive or repulsive forces between molecules or atoms. These forces play a crucial role in determining the physical properties of substances, such as melting and boiling points, viscosity, and solubility.

What are ionic crystals?

Ionic crystals are solid structures made up of positively and negatively charged ions held together by electrostatic forces. They have high melting and boiling points, are brittle, and are good conductors of electricity in their molten or dissolved state.

What are network solids?

Network solids are three-dimensional structures made up of covalently bonded atoms. They have very high melting and boiling points, are hard and rigid, and are poor conductors of electricity.

How do intermolecular forces differ between ionic crystals and network solids?

The intermolecular forces in ionic crystals are primarily electrostatic in nature, whereas the intermolecular forces in network solids are covalent bonds. This results in stronger intermolecular forces in network solids, leading to higher melting and boiling points.

How are intermolecular forces determined in these types of solids?

Intermolecular forces in ionic crystals and network solids can be determined by analyzing their physical properties, such as melting and boiling points, as well as their conductivity, solubility, and brittleness. Additionally, techniques such as X-ray crystallography and spectroscopy can provide information about the arrangement and bonding within these solids.