Determining optimal barrel length for a projectile

In summary, the conversation discusses the factors that influence the optimal barrel length for a firearm using a specific cartridge. These include barrel whip, complete burning of propellant, and rifling for spin stabilization. It is suggested that there may be a formula to determine the optimal length, and resources such as a search engine and the Speer Reloading Manual are recommended for further information. Additionally, it is mentioned that load tuning can help minimize group size.
Rpbarry58
Hello, I was wondering of anybody has a formula to determine the optimal barrel length for a firearm using a particular cartridge? For example, the M855 cartridge which has a 62gr. projectile and uses WC-844 propellant, which has a known burn rate etc.

The longer the barrel, the more susceptible to barrel "whip" the barrel would be; however, a longer barrel allows both the complete burning of the propellant as well as increased travel through the barrel's rifling which imparts spin on the projectile to stabilize it in flight...although I would think there would be a point of diminished returns where the friction of traveling down the barrel after peak pressure is achieved by the combustion of the propellant would perhaps slow the projectile down.

On the other hand, the shorter the barrel, the less "whip" should be encountered but the barrel must be of sufficient length to allow both complete burning of the propellant as well as allowing the rifling to impart enough spin on the projectile to stabilize it in flight.

For the aforementioned cartridge I used as an example...maximum velocity was apparently achieved with a barrel length of 20 inches, with an increasing drop in velocity with shorter barrel lengths.

I realize that this is ignoring rifling twist rates and other factors...I just am wondering if there is a formula out there which can be used to determine, to at least a ballpark value, optimal barrel length based on the specifics of a particular cartridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Search engine is your friend. Try search terms interior ballistics to get started.

Likes Dr.D and jedishrfu
Speer Reloading Manual has information on this, too. It is possible to tune a load such that you minimize group size.

Thank you for your replies.

Likes berkeman

1. How does barrel length affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The length of the barrel can affect the trajectory of a projectile by influencing the amount of time the projectile is in contact with the propelling force. A longer barrel allows for a longer contact time, resulting in a greater acceleration and a flatter trajectory. However, a longer barrel also increases the weight and drag on the projectile, which can ultimately decrease its velocity and affect its trajectory.

2. Is there an optimal barrel length for all types of projectiles?

No, there is not a universal optimal barrel length for all types of projectiles. The optimal barrel length depends on various factors such as the type and weight of the projectile, the propelling force, and the intended distance of the shot. Different projectiles may have different optimal barrel lengths to achieve the desired trajectory and accuracy.

3. How can I determine the optimal barrel length for my specific projectile?

To determine the optimal barrel length for a specific projectile, you can conduct experiments by gradually increasing or decreasing the barrel length and measuring the resulting trajectory and accuracy. Additionally, you can also use mathematical models and simulations to predict the optimal barrel length based on the projectile's characteristics and the intended distance of the shot.

4. Can a longer barrel always result in better accuracy?

No, a longer barrel does not always guarantee better accuracy. While a longer barrel can provide a longer contact time and potentially result in a flatter trajectory, it can also increase the weight and drag on the projectile, which can negatively affect its accuracy. Other factors such as the quality of the barrel and the skill of the shooter also play a significant role in determining accuracy.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a longer barrel for a projectile?

Yes, there are potential drawbacks to using a longer barrel for a projectile. As mentioned before, a longer barrel can increase the weight and drag on the projectile, which can decrease its velocity and accuracy. Additionally, a longer barrel may also make the firearm heavier and less maneuverable, which can be a disadvantage in certain situations.