Determining terminal voltage, field current,etc.

In summary, a DC generator's terminal voltage cannot be greater than its generated emf. A circuit diagram for a shunt generator should be drawn to ensure accurate calculations. The armature current equation may require sign changes to ensure proper calculations. The armature's current is equal to the sum of the field's and external circuit's current because the field current is supplied by the generator terminal voltage and the armature current splits into these two components according to KCL.
Vladi

Homework Statement

The emf induced in the armature of a shunt generator is 596 V. The armature resistance is 0.100 Ω. (a) Compute the terminal voltage when the armature current is 460 A. (b) The field resistance is 110 Ω. Determine the field current, and the current and power delivered to the external circuit.

Homework Equations

Armature Current= (Line voltage - Back emf)/Armature resistance
R=V/I
P=(V)(I)

The Attempt at a Solution

I felt good about my work until I checked the key. Where did I go wrong?
page 1.jpg
page 2.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
A DC generator's terminal voltage can not be greater than its generated emf (induced).
Draw the circuit diagram for shunt generator. Your armature current equation needs a couple of sign changes.

cnh1995 said:
A DC generator's terminal voltage can not be greater than its generated emf (induced).
Draw the circuit diagram for shunt generator. Your armature current equation needs a couple of sign changes.
I drew a circuit diagram and re-did the problem. I got the right answers, but I still have a few questions. Are the sign changes only
necessary in order to ensure that the terminal voltage was less than the generated emf? Why is the armature's current equal to the sum of the field's and external circuit's current? I wrote down that was true because I found solutions to a similar problem that stated this fact. Thank you for your time.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Vladi said:
Are the sign changes only
necessary in order to ensure that the terminal voltage was less than the generated emf?
DC generator supplies power to the external circuit, hence, armature current flows out of the armature winding through its positive terminal.
Vladi said:
Why is the armature's current equal to the sum of the field's and external circuit's current?
Because the field is current is supplied by the generator terminal voltage. Hence, as per KCL, the armature current splits into field current and external circuit current.

Likes Vladi
cnh1995 said:
DC generator supplies power to the external circuit, hence, armature current flows out of the armature winding through its positive terminal.

Because the field is current is supplied by the generator terminal voltage. Hence, as per KCL, the armature current splits into field current and external circuit current.
Thank you for all your help.

1. What is terminal voltage?

Terminal voltage refers to the voltage measured at the output terminals of a device, such as a battery or generator. It is the total electrical potential difference between the positive and negative terminals of the device.

2. How is terminal voltage determined?

Terminal voltage is determined by the internal resistance of the device and the current flowing through it. It can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that voltage equals current multiplied by resistance.

3. What factors affect terminal voltage?

The main factors that affect terminal voltage are the internal resistance of the device, the current flowing through it, and the temperature of the device. Changes in any of these factors can cause fluctuations in terminal voltage.

4. What is field current?

Field current is the electrical current that flows through the field winding of a generator or motor. It creates a magnetic field that interacts with the armature to produce mechanical energy or electricity.

5. How is field current related to terminal voltage?

Field current and terminal voltage are directly related, as changes in one will affect the other. An increase in field current will result in a higher terminal voltage, while a decrease in field current will lead to a lower terminal voltage.