1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the composition of a coordination compound using molar conductivity

1. Oct 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The substance CoBr3 dot 4 NH3 dot 2 H2O ha a molar conductivity of 42 kS/m at infinite dilution. Indicate the composition of the coordination sphere.

2. Relevant equations

I don't know any relevant equations.

3. The attempt at a solution

Where can we read about how molar conductivity can tell us the composition of a coordination sphere? I googled this and have not found a tutorial on how to do this type of question.

I don't recall molar conductivity being mentioned in my high school chemistry class when we did coordination spheres.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

There is no direct link, however, think how the molar conductivity depends on the ions present in the solution - types, numbers, charges... Once you can estimate what ions are present, you can conclude how the complex looks.

--

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook