1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preparation and naming of coordination compounds

1. Sep 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi.
    The combination of Fe(II), H2O, Cl- y NH4+ yields 3 coordination compounds, one of which is:

[Fe(H2O)6]Cl2

Which are the other ones?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Even though I sort of know how the compounds could be formed I don't why or rather , how can I tell that only 3 will be formed....

For instance, I think that some of the compounds could be:

(NH4)3[Fe(H2O)Cl5]

[Fe(H2O)3Cl3]Cl

(NH4)2[Fe(H2O)2Cl4]

How can I tell if they are correct? and how can I know that they should be three for example (in this case I already have four :S)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2012 #2

AGNuke

Gold Member

If you are talking about the co-ordination Number 6, then the following possibilities are there with Co-ordination Sphere:

1. Have +2 charge; [Fe(H2O)6]Cl2
    2. Have +1 charge; [Fe(H2O)5Cl]Cl
    3. Have 0 charge; [Fe(H2O)4Cl2]
    4. Have -1 charge; NH4[Fe(H2O)3Cl3]
    5. Have -2 charge; (NH4)2[Fe(H2O)2Cl4]
    6. Have -3 charge; (NH4)3[Fe(H2O)Cl5]
    7. Have -4 charge. (NH4)4[FeCl6]

See, I formed 6 or 7 compounds, So what could you be asking that the compulsory presence of mentioned species, either inside or outside the sphere. Then there can be 3.

Also, there's no way to tell what will happen until you write down all possible cases.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook