Determining the mass of the black hole at the centre of the Milky Way

In summary, to calculate the velocity of a star orbiting the center of our Galaxy, we can use the angular speed and distance to the Galactic center. Using this velocity, we can also calculate the acceleration and use the law of universal gravitation to find the mass of the black hole in the Galactic center.
moonkey

Homework Statement

(2) A star orbits the centre of our Galaxy in a plane perpendicular to our line of sight.
If the angular speed of this star in the sky is 40 mas (milli-arc-seconds) per year,
calculate its velocity. Assume that the distance of the Galactic centre is 8 kpc.
(3) If the angular displacement of the star in (2) above from the Galactic centre is 0.1 arc
second, calculate the mass of the black hole in the Galactic centre

Some numbers you might need:
Distance to Vega = 8.1 pc
Speed of light (c) = 3×108 m s−1
Planck constant (h) = 6.63 × 10−34 J s
Solar mass (M⊙) = 2 × 1030 kg
Solar Luminosity = 3.85 × 1026 W
1 pc = 3.086 × 1016 m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the speed of the star in question 2 to be 761159.4525m/s (or 761.16km/s) by converting the arcseconds/year into rads/s for ω and used v=ωr (r being 0.5*8kpc)

I just don't understand question 3. Can anyone indicate to me how I should go about this or even what it actually means? I don't think these questions are phrased very well.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the velocity you calculated, along with equation for circular motion to find the acceleration of the star. Then use the law of universal gravitation to find the mass of the black hole

a = v^2/r
F = ma
F = mv^2/r = GMm/r^2

v^2 = GM/r

M = rv^2/G

1. How do scientists determine the mass of the black hole at the centre of the Milky Way?

Scientists use various methods to determine the mass of the black hole at the centre of the Milky Way. One common method is to observe the orbits of nearby stars and calculate the gravitational pull needed to keep them in orbit. Another technique involves analyzing the motion of gas and dust swirling around the black hole.

2. What is the estimated mass of the black hole at the centre of the Milky Way?

Based on observations and calculations, scientists estimate that the black hole at the centre of the Milky Way has a mass of approximately 4 million times that of our sun.

3. How does the mass of the black hole affect the surrounding stars and objects?

The immense gravitational pull of the black hole affects the orbits and movements of nearby stars and objects. It can also influence the formation and evolution of stars and galaxies in the surrounding area.

4. Is the mass of the black hole constant or does it change over time?

The mass of the black hole at the centre of the Milky Way is constantly changing as it absorbs matter and energy from its surroundings. However, the rate of change is relatively slow, so its mass can be considered constant for practical purposes.

5. Are there any uncertainties in determining the mass of the black hole at the centre of the Milky Way?

Due to the complex nature of black holes and the limitations of current technology, there are some uncertainties in determining the exact mass of the black hole at the centre of the Milky Way. However, multiple observations and calculations have been made to confirm the estimated mass with a high degree of accuracy.