Determining the voltage of a power source

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the initial voltage, Vt, in a series RC circuit. The options for Vt are given as +58 mV, -58 mV, +40 mV, +116 mV, or cannot be determined. The time constant is mentioned as 120ms and the internal resistance as 12kohms. There is a question about how to calculate Vt given that the initially seen 40mV is not the potential difference across the battery. The concept of a series RC circuit with a fixed resistor and a switch is explained, with the voltage across the resistor starting at Vt and decreasing exponentially while the voltage across the capacitor starts at 0 and increases towards Vt.
nokia8650
See file below:
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5797/screenshot20100527at215.png

This is for a biological membrane, but the principles are the same. I am asked what the value of the initial voltage, Vt is.The options are:

What was the value of the initial voltage, Vt?
A. +58 mV
B. -58 mV
C. +40 mV
D. +116 mV
E. It cannot be determined.

I can see that the time constant is 120ms, and hence the internal resistance is 12kohms. However, I am unable to see how I will calculate Vt, as the 40mV initially seen is surely not the potential difference across the battery.

Many Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If this is equivelent to a series RC circuit with a fixed resistor and a switch then when the switch is closed the voltage across the resistor starts at Vt and falls exponentially towards zero whereas the voltage across the capacitor starts at zero and rises towards Vt.

Thanks for the reply. If 40mV was the total battery voltage, and there are 40mV across the capacitor, does that mean that there are 0v across the resistor? My physics is really rusty ever since I became a medic..!

If 40mV is the battery voltage then the full 40mV will be across the capacitor when it is fully charged and 0mV will be across the resistor.

Last edited:
As a scientist, my response to this question would be that the initial voltage, Vt, cannot be determined solely based on the information provided. In order to accurately determine the initial voltage, we would need to know the specific characteristics of the power source, such as its internal resistance, current capacity, and any other relevant factors. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately calculate the initial voltage. Additionally, the voltage measured across the biological membrane may not be equivalent to the voltage of the power source, as there may be other factors at play such as membrane permeability and ion concentrations. Therefore, without further information, the correct answer would be option E, "It cannot be determined."

1. How do you determine the voltage of a power source?

The voltage of a power source can be determined by using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the electrical potential difference between two points. The voltmeter should be connected in parallel to the power source, and the reading on the voltmeter will indicate the voltage of the power source.

2. What is the unit of measurement for voltage?

Voltage is measured in volts (V), which is a unit of electrical potential difference or electromotive force. In some cases, millivolts (mV) or kilovolts (kV) may be used to measure smaller or larger voltages respectively.

3. Can the voltage of a power source change?

Yes, the voltage of a power source can change. It can vary depending on the type of power source, its load, and its internal resistance. For example, batteries have a relatively constant voltage, while the voltage of an outlet can fluctuate depending on the demand for electricity.

4. How does the voltage of a power source affect electrical devices?

The voltage of a power source is an important factor in determining whether an electrical device will function properly. If the voltage is too low, the device may not work at all. If the voltage is too high, it can cause damage to the device. Therefore, it is important to match the voltage of the power source to the voltage requirements of the device.

5. What are some common methods for measuring voltage?

In addition to using a voltmeter, there are other methods for measuring voltage. These include using a multimeter, which can measure voltage as well as other electrical properties such as current and resistance. Another method is using a voltage divider circuit, which uses resistors to divide the voltage and produce a measurable output. Finally, oscilloscopes can also be used to measure voltage by displaying the waveform of an electrical signal.