Find the resistance for maximum power transfer

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of R for maximum power transfer in a circuit where RL equals 50 Ω and I equals 2A. The attempt at a solution involves creating an open circuit and using mesh analysis to derive the expression for output power and input power as a function of R. The problem was resolved when the negative sign was corrected, leading to the correct answer of 5 ohms.
MattHorbacz

Homework Statement

Steif.ch03.p74.jpg

Find the value of R where RL equals 50 Ω, for maximum power transfer
I= 2A, R_L=50 ohms

Homework Equations

R_th=V_oc/I_sc
KCL,KVL,V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I created an open circuit including everything except R_L. Then i tried to solve for the Open Circuit Voltage,V_oc. Since current is only flowing through the left loop, it is safe to assume that I_x = the given current which is 2A. Therefore the voltage source =10V. The voltage on the bottom of the circuit will be 0, since it is grounded. I think the top voltage should be v1+10V. V1 would be i_x*40 which is 80. It is going in the opposite direction, so -80. That gives me V_oc=-70.
Next I closed the circuit, still excluding R_L, and solved for the short circuit current with mesh analysis. I called the left loop i1 and the right loop i_sc. So it follows that
i1=2
i_sc-i1=i_x
i_sc*(40+R)-i1*40=5*i_x
solving for i_sc gives
i_sc=90/(45+r)
My teacher told us that the power transferred is at a max when R_thevenin=R_Load, so
R_thevenin=-70/[90/(45+R)]=50
Solving for R I get R=-51.4 ohms, which is wrong...what am i doing wrong? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem occurred when you stated "V1 would be i_x*40 which is 80. It is going in the opposite direction, so -80." What did you mean by it going in the opposite direction? Opposite direction to what?

Likes MattHorbacz
Better to solve the circuit with mesh analysis, and derive the expression for the output power and the input power as function of R.

ehild

Last edited:
I thought that the current i_x was directed toward the ground, whereas the voltage i was looking for was at the top...so i guess that is were i got that from...i was reworking it, and i got i_x to be +80, which makes the problem have a nicer solution...didnt try it yet tho

ehild said:
Better to solve the circuit with mesh analysis, and derive the expression for the power on R and the input power as function of R.

ehild
yeah i realized that wouldn't work, but a man can dream =]

I think the output power is on RL instead of R...

ehild said:
I think the output power is on RL instead of R...
yes, but we are already given R_L...i need to solve for R to maximize the output power on R_L

OMG I GOT IT RIGHT! THE ANSWER WAS 5 OHMS...gneill was right, the problem was in the negative sign. Thanks! you guys are the best!

1. What is the equation for calculating the resistance for maximum power transfer?

The equation is R = (V^2)/P, where R is the resistance, V is the voltage, and P is the power.

2. How do you determine the maximum power transfer point on a circuit?

The maximum power transfer point occurs when the resistance of the load is equal to the internal resistance of the source.

3. Can the maximum power transfer point be achieved with any type of circuit?

No, the maximum power transfer point can only be achieved with resistive circuits, as they have a constant resistance regardless of the current passing through them.

4. What is the significance of achieving maximum power transfer?

Achieving maximum power transfer ensures that the most efficient use of the energy source is achieved, minimizing energy loss and maximizing the performance of the circuit.

5. How can the resistance for maximum power transfer be adjusted in a circuit?

The resistance for maximum power transfer can be adjusted by changing the resistance of the load, either by adding or removing resistors, until it is equal to the internal resistance of the source.