Developing Mathmatical Maturitiy

• Thread starter koab1mjr
  • Start date
In summary: He also mentions that he is studying math for personal interest, but it takes him a long time to understand the concepts. He is currently studying Rudin's Real Analysis, but admits that it may not be the best book for beginners. Dave suggests taking breaks and revisiting material to help with understanding. He also believes that it is the fault of poor explanations in textbooks, and advises gathering resources from multiple sources to fully grasp difficult concepts. In summary, Dave discusses the challenges of studying math and suggests strategies for better understanding and learning. He also points out the importance of finding resources from multiple sources to aid in comprehension.
koab1mjr
The most dreaded words in a mathmatical text. This usually translates into some time banging your head against a wall. Why do people do this to students?

Besides blood sweat and tears what can be done to make the stuff more accesible. I am not a math major but I like to study the stuff because I think its cool but its take a while to get the stuff. Sometimes I am just reading a single paragraph or section of a proof for hours until it smack me in the head. (doing rudin Real analysis)

There has to be a better way I would think, I am redoing my fundementals in calc again, hopefully that helps

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For one thing, you're doing yourself a disservice by using Rudin as a primary source. It's not meant to be one, it's a book mostly known for its terse exposition and difficult problems. It's geared at those who already know the subject well.

koab1mjr said:
The most dreaded words in a mathmatical text. This usually translates into some time banging your head against a wall. Why do people do this to students?

Besides blood sweat and tears what can be done to make the stuff more accesible. I am not a math major but I like to study the stuff because I think its cool but its take a while to get the stuff. Sometimes I am just reading a single paragraph or section of a proof for hours until it smack me in the head. (doing rudin Real analysis)

There has to be a better way I would think, I am redoing my fundementals in calc again, hopefully that helps

Isn't that the way it goes learning anything? (Unless, of course, you are a savant.)

My suggestion is study for a while, then walk away. Math needs to soak in. Maybe when you go back it will make more sense.

It's not the students fault, it's poor explanations! Don't sweat it - try to gather as many resources as you can to try to take bits and pieces from them all until it makes sense (what the authors should have done before writing a book...)

Dave

I can understand the frustration that comes with developing mathematical maturity. It can often feel like an endless struggle and a daunting task. However, it is important to remember that developing mathematical maturity is a process that takes time and effort. It is not something that can be achieved overnight. Just like any other skill, it requires practice and patience.

One possible reason for why people may make math seem difficult is because it is a subject that requires a lot of critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It is not just about memorizing formulas and equations, but rather understanding the underlying concepts and applying them in different situations. This can be challenging for some students, but it is what makes math such a valuable and useful skill to have.

To make math more accessible and less intimidating, there are a few things that can be done. First, it is important to have a positive attitude towards math. Many people have a negative mindset towards math, which can make it more difficult to learn. Instead, try to approach it with an open mind and view it as a puzzle to be solved.

Secondly, it can be helpful to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable pieces. This can help make the material more digestible and easier to understand. Additionally, finding real-world applications for the math being learned can make it more relatable and interesting.

Finally, seeking help and guidance from a teacher or tutor can also make a big difference in understanding and mastering math. They can provide personalized explanations and tips to help improve understanding and develop mathematical maturity.

In the end, developing mathematical maturity is a journey that requires persistence and determination. Keep pushing through and don't be discouraged by the challenges. With the right mindset and approach, anyone can develop the necessary skills to excel in math. Good luck with your studies!

1. What does it mean to have mathematical maturity?

Mathematical maturity refers to a level of understanding and proficiency in mathematical concepts and skills. It involves the ability to think critically and creatively, make connections between different mathematical ideas, and apply concepts to solve complex problems.

2. How can one develop mathematical maturity?

To develop mathematical maturity, one must engage in regular practice and exposure to various mathematical topics and problems. This can be achieved through studying and solving problems independently, as well as participating in group discussions and activities that encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. At what age should mathematical maturity be developed?

The development of mathematical maturity can begin at a young age, as early as elementary school. However, it is a continuous process and can continue to develop throughout one's lifetime with consistent practice and exposure to new mathematical concepts.

4. Can mathematical maturity be measured?

While there is no standard measurement for mathematical maturity, it can be observed through a person's ability to think critically and solve complex mathematical problems. Standardized tests, such as the SAT or GRE, may also provide an indication of a person's mathematical maturity.

5. Why is mathematical maturity important?

Mathematical maturity is important because it allows individuals to think logically, make connections between different mathematical concepts, and apply mathematical principles to real-world situations. It also helps individuals build problem-solving skills, which are essential in many fields and professions.