1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagnostic medical sonography

1. Dec 11, 2009 #1
    Ultrasound tech.

Entrance Requirements

Students must have successfully completed the following with a minimum average of 60%:

* English 30-1 (English 30)
    * Math 30-1 (Pure)
    * Biology 30
    * Physics 30
    * Chemistry 20

I am in grade 11, currently stuggeling with physics. I have a 70 average in english 20 currently. I have math 10 pure, 68% average.

Should I try and pursue this career choice? Do you have any tips for me?
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think ultrasonography is a good career choice.

The pros:
    - lots of opportunity to work in various medical areas: private diagnostic centres, hospitals, research centres, etc.
    - reasonable pay
    - regular hours
    - ~2 year comunity college program means you can get into it quickly

The cons:
    - I'm not sure that there's a lot of opportunity for advancement in the field. You might move up to a manager in a larger centre, but for the most part you won't gain too many new responsibilies as time goes by.
    - Aside from different types of scans, you're essentially doing the same thing every day.

My understanding is that UST programs can be competative to get into. The only specific person I know who went through one already had a university degree. So if you want to get in, it's best to start pulling up your socks now and get the best marks you can. A solid background in physics and math will help you, so make sure that you stick with those courses.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook