Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagnostic medical sonography

1. Dec 11, 2009 #1
    Ultrasound tech.

Entrance Requirements

Students must have successfully completed the following with a minimum average of 60%:

* English 30-1 (English 30)
    * Math 30-1 (Pure)
    * Biology 30
    * Physics 30
    * Chemistry 20

I am in grade 11, currently stuggeling with physics. I have a 70 average in english 20 currently. I have math 10 pure, 68% average.

Should I try and pursue this career choice? Do you have any tips for me?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think ultrasonography is a good career choice.

The pros:
    - lots of opportunity to work in various medical areas: private diagnostic centres, hospitals, research centres, etc.
    - reasonable pay
    - regular hours
    - ~2 year comunity college program means you can get into it quickly

The cons:
    - I'm not sure that there's a lot of opportunity for advancement in the field. You might move up to a manager in a larger centre, but for the most part you won't gain too many new responsibilies as time goes by.
    - Aside from different types of scans, you're essentially doing the same thing every day.

My understanding is that UST programs can be competative to get into. The only specific person I know who went through one already had a university degree. So if you want to get in, it's best to start pulling up your socks now and get the best marks you can. A solid background in physics and math will help you, so make sure that you stick with those courses.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook