1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Diagonalizing Martrix (S) question

1. Jan 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    First off, this is not for a course, I'm reviewing material. This also *should* be straightforward! I think I'm forgetting something simple, so if someone could point it out to me, I would be able to sleep easy tonight :)
    OK! the question:

Given a matrix [tex]T = \begin{pmatrix}
    cosx & -sinx\\
    sinx & cosx\\
    \end{pmatrix}$[/tex]

we want to find the inverse of [tex]{\bf S}^{-1}={\bf S}[/tex] and then take [tex]STS^{-1}[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    So first I find the eigenvalues which are cosx +/- isinx
    Next I calculated the eigenvectors and got a(1) = (1,-i) [column vector]
    and a(2) = (1,i) [column vector]
    If you normalize the two eigenvectors you get a constant 1/sqrt[2] for both.
    That gives me
    [tex]S^{-1} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix}
    1 & 1\\
    -i & i\\
    \end{pmatrix}$[/tex]

and when I solve I get [tex]S = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix}
    1/2 & i/2\\
    1/2 & -i/2\\
    \end{pmatrix}$[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    If you look above, you should see that I did most everything correctly (I believe, let me know if I made an error)! However, clearly [tex]STS^{-1}[/tex] should give me back a matrix with my eigenvalues on the diagonal. However, I get an extra coefficient in front of the matrix which should cancel out. Where is the mistake? Also, along those lines, I read somewhere that [tex]S=(S^{-1})^{\dag}[/tex] is this true? I was always under the impression that S is simply the inverse and you do not need to take the adjoint?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2010 #2
    I get:

[tex]
    S=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&1\\-i&i\end{array}\right)\rightarrow S^{-1}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&i\\1&-i\end{array}\right)
    [/tex]

The latter term is where it seems you encounter your extra factor. My result does lead to the expected solution:

[tex]
    S^{-1}TS=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&i\\1&-i\end{array}\right)\cdot\left(\begin{array}{cc}\cos(x)&-\sin(x)\\ \sin(x)&\cos(x)\end{array}\right)\cdot\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&1\\-i&i\end{array}\right)=\left(\begin{array}{cc}\cos(x)+i\sin(x)&0\\0&\cos(x)-i\sin(x)\end{array}\right)
    [/tex]

4. Jan 8, 2010 #3
    Yes, thank you. I made an error in the analysis of [tex]S[/tex] and that lead to the errors :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook