Diagonalizing a matrix using perturbation theory.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of perturbation theory to diagonalize a given matrix. The method involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the unperturbed Hamiltonian, represented by the matrix given in the conversation. The calculation of perturbations can be done using <Psi|H'|Psi>, but the necessary wavefunction is not provided in the given information. Instead, the conversation suggests using the eigenstates of the unperturbed Hamiltonian, denoted as |1>, |2>, and |3>. The given matrix is the representation of the unperturbed Hamiltonian in this basis, which can be used to calculate the corrections and ultimately diagonalize the matrix H.
PsychoDash

Homework Statement

Consider the following Hamiltonian.

H=[itex]\begin{pmatrix} 20 & 1 & 0 \\1 & 20 & 2 \\0 & 2 & 30 \end{pmatrix}
[/itex]
Diagonalize this matrix using perturbation theory. Obtain eigenvectors (to first order) and eigenvalues (to second order).

Ho=[itex]\begin{pmatrix} 20 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 20 & 0 \\0 & 0 & 30 \end{pmatrix}
[/itex]
H'=[itex]\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 & 0 \\1 & 0 & 2 \\0 & 2 & 0 \end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In general, diagonalizing a matrix involves finding its eigenvalues and then writing the eigenvalues on the diagonal with zeros elsewhere. Despite that, I'm just not sure how to approach this question.

Likes shanifari
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you calculate corrections in perturbation theory? What equations do you have? Do you have degenerate states?

It's really just a matter of figuring out which formulas you need to use and plugging everything in. You can get the needed matrix elements by inspection.

That's what's throwing me off. There is no "physical system" as I have come to understand it. All I'm given is what I wrote above. I understand that to calculate perturbations in general, you use <Psi|H'|Psi>, but that gets me back to needing a wavefunction to operate on. All I have is this set of matrices.

You don't need a wave function for the system. You need the eigenstates of the unperturbed Hamiltonian. Let's call those [itex]\vert 1 \rangle[/itex], [itex]\vert 2 \rangle[/itex], and [itex]\vert 3 \rangle[/itex]. The matrix you've been given is the representation of [itex]\hat{H}[/itex] relative to that basis. In other words,
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}
\langle 1 \lvert \hat{H} \rvert 1 \rangle & \langle 1 \lvert \hat{H} \rvert 2 \rangle & \langle 1 \lvert \hat{H} \rvert 3 \rangle \\
\langle 2 \lvert \hat{H} \rvert 1 \rangle & \langle 2 \lvert \hat{H} \rvert 2 \rangle & \langle 2 \lvert \hat{H} \rvert 3 \rangle \\
\langle 3 \lvert \hat{H} \rvert 1 \rangle & \langle 3 \lvert \hat{H} \rvert 2 \rangle & \langle 3 \lvert \hat{H} \rvert 3 \rangle
\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} 20 & 1 & 0 \\1 & 20 & 2 \\0 & 2 & 30 \end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
Does that clear things up?

How does that help diagonalize H?

What is diagonalization of a matrix?

Diagonalization of a matrix is a process of finding a similar matrix that has only diagonal elements. This is done by finding a set of linearly independent eigenvectors and arranging them in a matrix, which is then multiplied with the original matrix and its inverse to get a diagonal matrix.

What is perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical method used to approximate solutions to problems that cannot be solved exactly. It involves breaking down a complex problem into simpler ones and then using small changes or perturbations to find an approximate solution.

How does perturbation theory help in diagonalizing a matrix?

Perturbation theory can be used to find an approximate solution to the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of a matrix, which are needed for diagonalization. By introducing small perturbations to the original matrix, we can iteratively improve the approximation and eventually obtain a more accurate diagonal matrix.

What are the benefits of using perturbation theory for diagonalization?

Using perturbation theory allows us to find an approximate solution to diagonalizing a matrix without having to solve the problem exactly, which can be time-consuming for large matrices. It also provides a way to improve the accuracy of the solution by iteratively refining the perturbations.

Are there any limitations to perturbation theory in diagonalizing a matrix?

Yes, perturbation theory may not always provide an accurate solution for diagonalization, especially when the perturbations are too large or the matrix is ill-conditioned. In some cases, it may also be difficult to determine the appropriate perturbations to use. Additionally, perturbation theory may not work for non-linear or non-Hermitian matrices.