1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diameter of a planet, known the angular size and distance

1. Sep 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a planet is 5x10^8 km from its sun, from the planet, the sun has an angular size of 1 degree. what is the diameter of the sun?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    ive drawn a diagram with the sun and the planet, with the distance between written in and the 1 degree size of the sun on the planets surface. i was thinking of using trignometry, since i know one angle and the length going through the center of the imaginary triangle, but im not sure, i havent used trig in a while

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2009 #2
    alright so heres what i worked out. since from the planet the angular distance is 1 degree and the distance to the sun to the sun is 3x10^5, i draw a triangle with one degree at the planet and the wider part of the triangle is defined by the base of the triangle. i cut the triangle down the center (cutting the 1 degree in half) making 2 right angle triangles, since one angle is 90 and i cut the 1 degree in half, thats 0.5 degrees and the third is 89.5. one side of the triangle is 300000 km. heres my work using trig:
    sin(89.5)= 300000/x (x being the hypotenuse)
    x= 300011

now i use Pythagorus to get the length of the base of the right triangle, which is the radius of the sun.
    300000^2+b^2= 30011^2
    b= 2569

since the radius is needed, i multply this by 2 to get a diameter of 5138 km.

is this right, the only thing im uncertain of in my solution is the i cut the one triangle to make 2. can i cut it down the middle like that making two triangles with 0.5 degrees from one triangle with 1 degree?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook