1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dice with weighted sides, looking for odds of a sum:faster way

1. Oct 17, 2007 #1
    Dice with weighted sides, looking for odds of a sum:faster way plz

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

6 side die is weighted so prob of rolling 2,3,4,5,6 is same and rolling 1 is 3x rolling a 2. If die is thrown twice, what's odds of getting a sum of 4?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    x+x+x+x+x+3x represents the "chances" of rolling a 2,3,4,5,6, and 1. So 2,3,4,5,6 individually have a 1/8 chance of rolling each time. 1 has a 3/8 chance of hitting each time.

a)For sum of 4 from 2 rolls, I need to get 1,2,3 on either rolls. Chance of getting that on first roll is 1/8 + 1/8 + 3/8 = 5/8.

If I get a 1 or 2 on first roll, then my 2nd roll can only be one result, so 5/8*1/8=5/64. Then now it's weird. If I get a 3, I multiply 5/8 by 3/8 right? o_O Answer is 7/64 though and for 3, it'd be 15/64.

Also, 7/64 doesn't match the 5/64 I got for getting a 1 or 2 on 2nd roll.

b)I made a chart. I got the correct answer this way, but can someone show me a faster way?

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=15919977748640328011

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2007 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That can't be right. 5/8 is the odds of getting a 1, 2, or 3 on the first roll... but you said you were considering the case where you got a 1 or 2 on the first roll.

Incidentally, why bother breaking the problem into "first roll" and "second roll"? Why not just consider each possible pair of rolls as outcomes?

4. Oct 17, 2007 #3
    Incidentally, why bother breaking the problem into "first roll" and "second roll"? Why not just consider each possible pair of rolls as outcomes?

You mean 5/8 * 5/8? That wouldn't equal 7/64. My chart works out to 7/64, but I want to find a less meticulous way.

5. Oct 17, 2007 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, most of the outcomes in {(1, 1), (1, 2), (1, 3), (2, 1), (2, 2), (2, 3), (3, 1), (3, 2), (3, 3)} do not have a sum of 4. So clearly the answer is not the probability of getting any one of these outcomes.

6. Oct 17, 2007 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can finally see your chart. I'm not sure what the problem with that approach is -- unless you mean writing the entire chart. Of course you don't need to write down all 36 outcomes; you only need to write down the 3 relevant ones.

7. Oct 17, 2007 #6
    Just wondering if there was an equational way?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?