Dice with weighted sides, looking for odds of a sum:faster way

  • Thread starter Thread starter pugfug90
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Dice
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
pugfug90
Messages
118
Reaction score
0
Dice with weighted sides, looking for odds of a sum:faster way please

Homework Statement



6 side die is weighted so prob of rolling 2,3,4,5,6 is same and rolling 1 is 3x rolling a 2. If die is thrown twice, what's odds of getting a sum of 4?

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


x+x+x+x+x+3x represents the "chances" of rolling a 2,3,4,5,6, and 1. So 2,3,4,5,6 individually have a 1/8 chance of rolling each time. 1 has a 3/8 chance of hitting each time.

a)For sum of 4 from 2 rolls, I need to get 1,2,3 on either rolls. Chance of getting that on first roll is 1/8 + 1/8 + 3/8 = 5/8.

If I get a 1 or 2 on first roll, then my 2nd roll can only be one result, so 5/8*1/8=5/64. Then now it's weird. If I get a 3, I multiply 5/8 by 3/8 right? O.o Answer is 7/64 though and for 3, it'd be 15/64.

Also, 7/64 doesn't match the 5/64 I got for getting a 1 or 2 on 2nd roll.

b)I made a chart. I got the correct answer this way, but can someone show me a faster way?

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=15919977748640328011
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If I get a 1 or 2 on first roll, then my 2nd roll can only be one result, so 5/8*1/8=5/64.
That can't be right. 5/8 is the odds of getting a 1, 2, or 3 on the first roll... but you said you were considering the case where you got a 1 or 2 on the first roll.


Incidentally, why bother breaking the problem into "first roll" and "second roll"? Why not just consider each possible pair of rolls as outcomes?
 
Incidentally, why bother breaking the problem into "first roll" and "second roll"? Why not just consider each possible pair of rolls as outcomes?

You mean 5/8 * 5/8? That wouldn't equal 7/64. My chart works out to 7/64, but I want to find a less meticulous way.
 
pugfug90 said:
Incidentally, why bother breaking the problem into "first roll" and "second roll"? Why not just consider each possible pair of rolls as outcomes?

You mean 5/8 * 5/8? That wouldn't equal 7/64. My chart works out to 7/64, but I want to find a less meticulous way.

Well, most of the outcomes in {(1, 1), (1, 2), (1, 3), (2, 1), (2, 2), (2, 3), (3, 1), (3, 2), (3, 3)} do not have a sum of 4. So clearly the answer is not the probability of getting anyone of these outcomes.
 
I can finally see your chart. I'm not sure what the problem with that approach is -- unless you mean writing the entire chart. Of course you don't need to write down all 36 outcomes; you only need to write down the 3 relevant ones.