Did a Comet Slam Into Earth and Combine with It After Collision?

  • Thread starter Thread starter siriux
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mean
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
siriux
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
What does "slam into" mean?

The prompt about impulse and momentum says "a large comet or asteroid slammed into the earth". Does the prompt means that the comet or asteroid combined with the Earth after collision and moved together at same speed after the collision?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


What's a 'prompt' in this context?
 


I asked prof and he said I should make an assumption about the motion after collision. Thank you DaveC426913.
 


I think the phrase "slammed into" could equally well be followed by any number of phrases such as, for example, (1) "and was absorbed by", (2) "and bounced off off"
 


@phinds
Yes exactly! So I was asked to make assumptions.