Did anybody actually see this epidsode of Numb3rs?

• Thread starter DeadWolfe
  • Start date
In summary: I just wasn't that impressed.Yes, I think that's pretty typical. People tend to only like shows if they're really into math or if the show is somehow related to math.
DeadWolfe
Did anybody actually see this epidsode of Numb3rs??

Taken from: http://www.numb3rs.org/spoilers1.htm

"When a 5-year-old girl is kidnapped from her birthday party, Don and Terry lead the investigation but must rely on Charlie's help, as the girl's father, Ethan, is also a mathematician. Charlie realizes the kidnapper's motive when Ethan reveals that he is close to solving Riemann's Hypothesis, a difficult math problem. If solved, the solution could not only earn him with $1 million but could break the code for Internet security, unlocking the world's biggest financial secret."

I've only seen the show once or twice, and it never seemed THAT bad? Did anybody see this episode, and was it as awful as it sounds?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've only seen one episode (not that one), but as far as I can tell, it's THAT bad.

The show is just disgusting, just leave it at that.

I have been watching Numbers recently. I don't take the math aspect too seriously. I do remember the episode you are talking about, but it seemed too silly to watch.

DeadWolfe said:
Charlie realizes the kidnapper's motive when Ethan reveals that he is close to solving Riemann's Hypothesis, a difficult math problem. If solved, the solution could not only earn him with $1 million but could break the code for Internet security, unlocking the world's biggest financial secret."
Yikes ! What a load of bull, that. :yuck:

I thought I'd heard that this show was actually supposed to be...ummm, not an embarrassment to the math community.

Gokul43201 said:
Yikes ! What a load of bull, that. :yuck:

I thought I'd heard that this show was actually supposed to be...ummm, not an embarrassment to the math community.

Where did you hear that? Not here.

Where are the idiots who actually watch this?

franznietzsche said:
Originally Posted by Gokul43201
Yikes ! What a load of bull, that.

Where did you hear that? Not here.
Um, from Britney Gallivan (in the Brain Teasers section). Then again, her opinion may have been biased, since her famous equation for the maximum number of folds possible in a piece of paper was part of one episode. (Paper folding)

The show uses the same entertainment technique as many others. First, invent some improbable/intriguing super-ability of any kind, whatever the general public might be able to buy into. It could be psychic abilities, a super-power of any kind, or in this case super-math. Anything Jo Public might believe. Then use it to solve murders. It's a tried-and-true, rather systematic method of producing TV shows.

Would someone tell me why good old sitcoms are dying out because of crap like this?? I think we should take all copies of Numb3rs, Nanny 911, Meet Your new mommy, Trading Spaces(ITS A VIRUS! Its already taken over TLC, what station is next!), and worst of all in my opinion, American Idol, and all cop and investigator shows, of which there are way too many(minus the original Law and Order-keep that) and bury them in a cave somewhere.

This way when our advanced ancestors find all these copies, they would be forced to believe in evolution because theyd know there was no way advanced people like them are genetically similar to people that get entertainment out of shows like these.

And there, after my rant, I have solved too problems, bad TV and Intelligent design, would both be destroyed:rofl:

G01 said:
Would someone tell me why good old sitcoms are dying out because of crap like this??
What good old sitcoms? :confused:

The only sitcom I can think of that had consistently good episodes was Seinfeld. After that, you start calling a sitcom great if it had at least one great episode. WKRP's Thanksgiving episode or Taxi's "Jim gets his license" episode are good examples. Week in, week out, the shows were only good for numbing a person's mind, but one great episode made people watch, just in case they ever had another good episode.

What about The Cosby show, that was a good show.

What about the Simpsons. IMO, a great sitcom, I watch every episode not "just in case" they have another good episode, but knowing they'll have another good episode. The Simpsons have never disapointed me, neither has Seinfeld. But I guess the definitions of a good sitcom depend on whos defining them.

Am I the only person on Earth that never cared for Seinfeld?

Wings was one of the most consistently funny sitcoms. "my goat knows the bowling scores". :rofl:

"The Bob Newhart Show" Larry, Darryl & Darryl

Last edited:
What about northern exposure?

You obviously don't enjoy the finer things in life.

cyrusabdollahi said:
What about northern exposure?
Didn't watch it.

You obviously don't enjoy the finer things in life.
I watched Seinfeld, but there was so much hype, I kept waiting for it to make me laugh, and it was mediocre. I like witty comedy rather than slapstick.

Frasier - my favorite show of all time.

True, Seinfeld was not really witty. It was more everyday things that happen in life that you can relate to comedy. It does not make you bust out laughing. What’s funny about it is that people are really like that. George, a cheap ass. Kramer, the guys crazy but a genius at the same time. George's parents, totally nuts! Seinfeld’s parents, likeable, but annoying and cheap. Elaine and putty and their crappy relationship. The guy who was a dentist and became Jewish just so he could make Jewish jokes and get away with it. The Nazi woman who was anti-denti. Mr. Peterman, another nut job boss. It was the characters that made the show. It was situational comedy at its best. There were so many good episodes.

The episode where the woman made a painting of Kramer, and the rich guy and his wife was like. It’s appalling! Atrocious! He is...disgusting! We'll take it!
http://www.edb.kvl.dk/~erik/pictures/kramer.jpg

http://www.seinfeld-fan.net/pictures/kramer/kramer015.jpg
http://www.seinfeld-fan.net/pictures/kramer/kramer060.jpg
http://www.seinfeld-fan.net/pictures/kramer/kramer057.jpg
http://www.seinfeld-fan.net/pictures/kramer/kramer056.jpg
http://www.seinfeld-fan.net/pictures/kramer/kramer058.jpg

Its a write off jerry. They just write it off! (When jerry tries to return his stereo for a refund)

Oh man, the list goes on and on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Family Guy. Pure genius.

numb3rs is a good show...its suppose to inspire the young to learn math rather than make an enjoyable show for those that already know the math.
After all math without application is rather boring some times.

and evo: i never watched seinfeld either...didn't really get why it was so funny. And Frasier was probably my 2nd fav comedy show after Friends.

neurocomp2003 said:
numb3rs is a good show...its suppose to inspire the young to learn math rather than make an enjoyable show for those that already know the math.

*gasps*

*chokes*

*suffocates and turns blue*

*recovers breath*

Entropy said:
Family Guy. Pure genius.
++ :approve:

neurocomp2003 said:
Good point. It's at least as good to captivate them by the apparent power of math than by the power of magic incantations or machine guns seen in so many other shows.

Evo said:

Wings was one of the most consistently funny sitcoms. "my goat knows the bowling scores". :rofl:

"The Bob Newhart Show" Larry, Darryl & Darryl
I almost forgot the Bob Newhart Show(s). Both versions (the Chicago version and the New England version) were classics. Bob Newhart was a classic before he even got on TV. My dad has records of some of his pre-TV monologues and Newhart's hilarious.

Friends is okay, especially Phoebe's songs :rofl: . Unfortunately, those only popped up once in a while. The show was usually a whiny Ross and a spoiled (whatever the name of the character Jennifer Aniston played). Ross could be nominated for most annoying person on TV if that show was still on.

Friends? What a horrible rip off of seinfeld. That show was a bunch of loosers who had to constantly feel up each others balls for support because they were too pathetic to handle what life threw at them.

Family Guy: Its all right, its no simpsons, but it is funny from time to time.

Family Guy is hilarious.

Seinfeld is what way-above poster said, "funny of a situational sort".

Numb3rs is... err... ugh.

My list of favorite newer sitcoms, in not particular order:

The Simpsons-Great
Family Guy*-Great
The Drew Carey Show- the middle years were the best
The Office- American Version, never saw the british version
Scrubs-okay
Arrested Developement*-greatI think Friends was horrible. They relied on sex-based jokes way to often.
*- Shows marked with this were screwed over by FOX at one particular time.

G01 said:
*- Shows marked with this were screwed over by FOX at one particular time.

FOX is run by orphaned chimpanzees with genetic brain disorders. Its not their fault.

I love how the simpsons always bash Fox. Priceless.

Lisa: Dad! You just bought stock for FOX
Homer: OOOOooHHH! Sell Sell Sell!

rachmaninoff said:
Where are the idiots who actually watch this?
:blushing:

Entropy said:
Family Guy. Pure genius.

:yuck: Family Guy was funny for the first couple of seasons, but it went downhill from there. The jokes and pop culture references are way too obvious for my tastes.

The only sitcom I can think of that had consistently good episodes was Seinfeld.

You really need to watch Arrested Development. It's been gold since day one.

Manchot said:
You really need to watch Arrested Development. It's been gold since day one.

I AGREE!

And about the simpsons bashing fox all the time- great

Lisa(I think)- It just goes to show you corporate icons can't be trusted.

Homer - *Gasp* Did you hear that, Foxy, the FOX network fox?! *Holds up a beat up, sickly looking stuffed fox wearing a FOX T-shirt*

The Simpsons was a great show pre-2000, but it is terrible now. I just started watching seinfeld about 2 weeks ago, and I love it!

Manchot said:
:yuck: Family Guy was funny for the first couple of seasons, but it went downhill from there.

Arrested Development. It's been gold since day one.
I think you got it backwards there... :rolleyes:

I like the simpsons. I have the first 7 seasons on DVD:biggrin:

I don't really like family guy. thought it was stupid

Mk said:
I think you got it backwards there... :rolleyes:

What are you talking about? Arrested Development has gotten better with age, what with the callbacks, self-references, and foreshadowing. When Family Guy has a recurring thing (like the monkey in the closet, the pedophile old guy, or the chicken fight), it usually comes from nowhere and is just stupid.

Back