Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Did anybody actually see this epidsode of Numb3rs?

1. Jan 25, 2006 #1
    Did anybody actually see this epidsode of Numb3rs??

Taken from: http://www.numb3rs.org/spoilers1.htm

"When a 5-year-old girl is kidnapped from her birthday party, Don and Terry lead the investigation but must rely on Charlie's help, as the girl's father, Ethan, is also a mathematician. Charlie realizes the kidnapper's motive when Ethan reveals that he is close to solving Riemann's Hypothesis, a difficult math problem. If solved, the solution could not only earn him with $1 million but could break the code for Internet security, unlocking the world's biggest financial secret."

I've only seen the show once or twice, and it never seemed THAT bad? Did anybody see this episode, and was it as awful as it sounds?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2006 #2
    I've only seen one episode (not that one), but as far as I can tell, it's THAT bad.

4. Jan 25, 2006 #3
    The show is just disgusting, just leave it at that.

5. Jan 25, 2006 #4
    I have been watching Numbers recently. I don't take the math aspect too seriously. I do remember the episode you are talking about, but it seemed too silly to watch.

6. Jan 25, 2006 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yikes ! What a load of bull, that. :yuck:

I thought I'd heard that this show was actually supposed to be...ummm, not an embarrassment to the math community.

7. Jan 25, 2006 #6

Where did you hear that? Not here.

8. Jan 26, 2006 #7
    Where are the idiots who actually watch this?

9. Jan 26, 2006 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Um, from Britney Gallivan (in the Brain Teasers section). Then again, her opinion may have been biased, since her famous equation for the maximum number of folds possible in a piece of paper was part of one episode. (Paper folding)

10. Jan 26, 2006 #9
    The show uses the same entertainment technique as many others. First, invent some improbable/intriguing super-ability of any kind, whatever the general public might be able to buy into. It could be psychic abilities, a super-power of any kind, or in this case super-math. Anything Jo Public might believe. Then use it to solve murders. It's a tried-and-true, rather systematic method of producing TV shows.

11. Jan 26, 2006 #10

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Would someone tell me why good old sitcoms are dying out because of crap like this?!?! I think we should take all copies of Numb3rs, Nanny 911, Meet Your new mommy, Trading Spaces(ITS A VIRUS!!! Its already taken over TLC, what station is next!), and worst of all in my opinion, American Idol, and all cop and investigator shows, of which there are way too many(minus the original Law and Order-keep that) and bury them in a cave somewhere.

This way when our advanced ancestors find all these copies, they would be forced to believe in evolution because theyd know there was no way advanced people like them are genetically similar to people that get entertainment out of shows like these.

And there, after my rant, I have solved too problems, bad TV and Intelligent design, would both be destroyed:rofl:

12. Jan 26, 2006 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What good old sitcoms? :confused:

The only sitcom I can think of that had consistently good episodes was Seinfeld. After that, you start calling a sitcom great if it had at least one great episode. WKRP's Thanksgiving episode or Taxi's "Jim gets his license" episode are good examples. Week in, week out, the shows were only good for numbing a person's mind, but one great episode made people watch, just in case they ever had another good episode.

13. Jan 26, 2006 #12
    What about The Cosby show, that was a good show.

14. Jan 26, 2006 #13

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What about the Simpsons. IMO, a great sitcom, I watch every episode not "just in case" they have another good episode, but knowing they'll have another good episode. The Simpsons have never disapointed me, neither has Seinfeld. But I guess the definitions of a good sitcom depend on whos defining them.

15. Jan 26, 2006 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Am I the only person on earth that never cared for Seinfeld?

Wings was one of the most consistently funny sitcoms. "my goat knows the bowling scores". :rofl:

"The Bob Newhart Show" Larry, Darryl & Darryl

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  16. Jan 26, 2006 #15
    What about northern exposure?

You obviously dont enjoy the finer things in life.

17. Jan 26, 2006 #16

Evo

Didn't watch it.

I watched Seinfeld, but there was so much hype, I kept waiting for it to make me laugh, and it was mediocre. I like witty comedy rather than slapstick.

18. Jan 26, 2006 #17

Evo

Frasier - my favorite show of all time.

19. Jan 26, 2006 #18
    True, Seinfeld was not really witty. It was more everyday things that happen in life that you can relate to comedy. It does not make you bust out laughing. What’s funny about it is that people are really like that. George, a cheap ass. Kramer, the guys crazy but a genius at the same time. George's parents, totally nuts! Seinfeld’s parents, likeable, but annoying and cheap. Elaine and putty and their crappy relationship. The guy who was a dentist and became Jewish just so he could make Jewish jokes and get away with it. The Nazi woman who was anti-denti. Mr. Peterman, another nut job boss. It was the characters that made the show. It was situational comedy at its best. There were so many good episodes.

The episode where the woman made a painting of Kramer, and the rich guy and his wife was like. It’s appalling! Atrocious! He is.........disgusting! We'll take it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its a write off jerry. They just write it off! (When jerry tries to return his stereo for a refund)

Oh man, the list goes on and on.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
  20. Jan 27, 2006 #19
    Family Guy. Pure genius.

21. Jan 27, 2006 #20
    numb3rs is a good show...its suppose to inspire the young to learn math rather than make an enjoyable show for those that already know the math.
    After all math without application is rather boring some times.

and evo: i never watched seinfeld either...didn't really get why it was so funny. And Frasier was probably my 2nd fav comedy show after Friends.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?