1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Did anyone ever participate in the UNM Los Alamos REU?

1. Feb 26, 2008 #1
    I was wondering if anyone here has previously participated in this REU. I got accepted into this one about a week and a half ago, but I have yet to accept their acceptance - they gave me a week to respond but I asked for an extension which they granted. I applied to about 20 REUs in math and physics and I wasn't necessarily expecting to hear back from one this soon, I'm not even sure I ever had them sent a second recommendation letter... Its at Los Alamos National Laboratory (2.2 billion dollar budget and a pretty fancy history) which I really don't want to just brush off but I wish I had more time to see what my options are. It is in the middle of the desert though, where summer is apparently their rainy lightning storm season. I was kinda crossing my fingers for either Chicago or Cornell (as I'm sure a lot of people are), but I am not even sure how to begin comparing the programs. I also got accepted into the Indiana REU which looks pretty good, but I was kinda leaning towards Los Alamos over this one - unless someone here knows better. Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2008 #2
    Hey i got accepted in that program aswell. It a really cool program. Dont let the weather bother you. And to answer your question about how good it is, i had a professor who attended this program when he was an undergraduate and said it was the thing that made him want to do physics the rest of his life.
  4. Mar 13, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the reply - I ended up accepting their offer. Are you going to be there this summer?
  5. Mar 14, 2008 #4
    Yep i will be there this summer. I think it will be alot of fun. I am still waiting on them to release the projects list for this summer.
  6. Mar 17, 2008 #5
    I did this last year. Great program, great faculty, and NM in the summer was great. Hiking and biking and whatnot. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. acaps@ucla.edu
  7. Mar 17, 2008 #6
    Short Circuit, I'm also waiting for them to release the projects list, but if they are anything like the projects they've offered the last few years it seems like it will be great. What school do you go to? I go to the University of Scranton... I came across this blog of a former participant: http://lanlandy.edublogs.org/ Its very informative - after reading a few of the posts I'm pretty excited about los alamos.

Alex, Thank you for the reply; Maybe I will finally break my 10 year streak of physical latency... I'll probably have some questions for you as the summer nears - I appreciate your offering to answer them.

8. Mar 17, 2008 #7
    No, Los Alamos is in the mountains (elevation 7500 feet). The summer is the monsoon season (i.e., thunderstorms), but these tend to last less than 30 minutes, and occur at roughly the same time late each afternoon, and then it's sunny and nice the rest of the time. The weather is really very nice that time of year, all things considered. If there's a reason to avoid Los Alamos, it's that it's a very small town without a terribly interesting social scene, particularly for people in their 20's. On the other hand, if you enjoy outdoor activities like hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing, river rafting (and skiing in the winter), Los Alamos is hard to beat. Also, it's very scenic and the food is awesome.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?