Did I Make the Right Decision During My Statistics Test?

• Thread starter HungryChemist
  • Start date
In summary: You seem to be overthinking the situation and getting caught up in what others may or may not be thinking about you. In summary, the conversation is about a student who rejected an offer for extra time on a statistics test and is now feeling confused and upset about the reactions of their classmates. The conversation also touches on the idea of being perceived as a "know-it-all" in school and how that can affect social dynamics.
cyrusabdollahi said:
A quiz is worth 10 points and is a fraction of a fraction of your grade. A test is a MAJOR portion of your grade >20%. I would miss a quiz without hesitation to have more time on an exam because its just not worth it point wise.

Not every class grades the same way. And yet, you ignore the main point that it is just plain wrong to expect a student to sacrifice one class for another. If I was the professor in the next class, I'D be pissed that students were all showing up late from the other class and disrupting MY class. You can choose to miss what you want, but that should NEVER be forced upon everyone. Sometimes quiz and attendance grading can make or break a borderline grade, and then it's even MORE important than a few points on an exam that don't push you into a different grade. The professor was wrong, the other students were selfish to expect him to sacrifice time from his next class or his quiz score so THEY could do better.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
The professor was wrong, the other students were selfish to expect him to sacrifice time from his next class
He never said that he had to get to another class and he didn't have the time.

Moonbear said:
or his quiz score so THEY could do better.
So what justifies him selfishly taking away their time? I agree the teacher was absolutely wrong to offer the time as an "all or none", but that doesn't make his selfish act right. Of course, he was given that option, so he shouldn't be surprised that the other students weren't happy. Some of them that knew the material better, perhpas studied harder would have completed all three questions.

It seems to me that he knew another 10 minutes wouldn't help him, so he didn't care if others would benefit, it was all about him. Sometimes we need to be considerate of others.

Last edited:
just where in this thread is there mention of a quiz--certainly not the OP, which if were true would be pertinent, and should have been included. I believe the poster is wanting justification for his decision, and/or a chance to reflect on whether he did the right thing. I don't think for a second he acted incorrectly, should never have been placed in this position, and if done on the basis of his standing in the class purely, w/o regard to social consequences, than he accepts the consequences. But MB IMO raises the most salient question of all: there may have been a rush of students to the door at t minus a minute or two, never expecting any relief, and so just turned in what they had, knowing a minute or two more work was unlikely to bear big fruit. On that basis alone, the teacher should have never considered such a flex option. Arguing about ehics in a situation where the boundary conditions are in themselves unethical, fruitless.

The teacher should not have offered the extra time at all, never mind whether it should have been all or none or not.

Whatever reasons he had for making his decision are really irrelevant. He was given a choice and he made it. People can and will get mad at him for every choice in life (almost). Personally if given the same choice, I would weigh the options and choose whichever I thought would work out best for me. I'm not going to school so anyone else can get a good grade, just myself. If it's graded on a curve, then how well everyone else might do will come into my consideration too.

Having said that, if someone else refused the time, when I could have used it, I wouldn't be upset with them for it.

Seems strange to act indignant on the basis that the extra 10 minutes spoiled your planning.

50 mins for 3 questions is ~17 mins per question yet you spent 30 mins on Q1 leaving only 10 mins each for the other 2. Doesn't sound like good time management to me. I'd have thought you'd have been glad of the extra time.

as you can see everyone here has a different opinion of the situation yet the class as a whole was pissed.

and that's why you hold your tongue or come up with a good lie "i have to get to the vet do you mind if i hand this in ten minutes early" lol.

it's like telling a lady she has an ugly baby when everyone else is telling her how cute it is haha you just don't do it or at the least nod in agreement.

Evo said:
So what justifies him selfishly taking away their time?
You're twisting the facts.

It was not "their" time in the first place. And he didn't "take it away".

Evo said:
I agree the teacher was absolutely wrong to offer the time as an "all or none"
For the teacher to have offered anything other than all or none would definitely have been unethical. They can't claim a level playing field by which to weigh students aainst each other and then when it doesn't turn out the way the majority likes they change the rules in favour of those who aren't doing well.

I took a particular interest in this thread as I treat many colorado school of mines student where I know punches aint pulled and passing levels for intro physics is very low. Under this stress people react in ways that no one can anticipate, but occasionaly I wil petiton for extra time, Its a proposition that worries me,

Last edited:
Well, all day, I attentively read all the posts, following people's opinion and their advices. I thank you all who expressed your true opinions. (that includes 'cyrusabdollahi') It seems that opinions are well divided into pro and cons and I think I know what I will do next time. Although, I wish that I never be put to such dilemma again. In brief, I don't regret what I did. Class is strictly curved and everybody had same time as promised. If however reason, 10 minutes of extra can be justified, why not 30 minutes? or just make it take home so that everyone can finish the test with their full knowledge and do the same thing for Physics GRE! So I really have no regret and no doubt that my action was fair. Such occasion makes me to think that if one day I become a professor, I will keep my test time rock solid.

However, I regret that I stood up against majority of class thereby increasing another chance of hate crime in my campus. You see, I had to run to library to return "statistics textbook" which I've been studying until just before the test. It's the reserved textbook so I must give it back to library on time (rental duration is only 3 hours sharp and that was right when the test was done) or I have to pay $8. I planned it all when I was checking it out so that I can return it just after finishing the test. No, it wasn't medical emergency, No, I didn't have test in next class. I am quiet getting stressful out of all this and now I think that I should have stayed and avoid angry faces of my fellow students and just pay the freaking $8 that will earn me a piece in mind.

I don't see the big deal. You were within your rights to not accept the extra 10 minutes. The class is alloted for a certain time and it seems the test was too long for that time if none of the students finished it. That's not your fault.

I've seen situations like this before and the teacher grades the individual test on a curve. Usually the results are to the benefit of all the students in the class. The teacher probably realized his error and offered the extra time as a way to make it up to the class. If the teacher punishes the class for his own mistakes then he's not a very good teacher. I'm guessing the class won't be upset with you when they get their grades back.

better hope they don't stuff you in a locker :tongue2:

Tests are overrated.

How big is this class and how many times has the professor taught it?

An instructor for a statistics class should realize that, unless her class is exceptionally big, grading on a curve is very unfair. Average grades can be affected by having particularly smart class, a particularly dumb class, or having a class that interacts with each other particularly well.

Sometimes class members actually do get together to help each other. In fact, some classes specifically assign group projects based on the idea that the students will have to work with others once they get a job after graduation. How well does that work when any help you give another student hurts your own grade?

If she's taught the class a few times, you'd also think she would have kept track of how long it takes to complete the test. A few people not completing the test is okay, but if no one's completing the test, then she has a problem with her test.

I also don't like it when a teacher has several classes and grades on the overall curve. The students taking the test in the afternoon always seem to do better than the first class to take the test in the morning.

Last edited:
In our Mechanics test, we had one kid that had to go to a next class to take a quiz, and the teacher forgot about him, so he wrote the test as a two hour test (instead of the one-hour and ten minutes we had).

Once his hour and ten were up, everybody got pissed at him because we hadn't finished all of our problems (or even started the fourth and last problem). I'm not like that, personally. I'm really not that concerned because a) I know I'll pass and b) as chroot said, "It's just a test".

Anyway, final point: they're not mad at him anymore. They got over it.

HungryChemist said:
However, I regret that I stood up against majority of class thereby increasing another chance of hate crime in my campus. You see, I had to run to library to return "statistics textbook" which I've been studying until just before the test. It's the reserved textbook so I must give it back to library on time (rental duration is only 3 hours sharp and that was right when the test was done) or I have to pay $8. I planned it all when I was checking it out so that I can return it just after finishing the test. No, it wasn't medical emergency, No, I didn't have test in next class. I am quiet getting stressful out of all this and now I think that I should have stayed and avoid angry faces of my fellow students and just pay the freaking $8 that will earn me a piece in mind.
Well, that's completely different, and you had a reason to leave. I apologize for saying you were selfish.

I still can't believe that teacher did what she did. She must be new.