I've long forgotten my readings about this, but I'm sure it did exist. Among scientists it was something of a Sunday philosophy. you might hear it in the annual address to a national chemical Society or something like that, I have run into it in a place like that. I think you will find that it did get itself into textbooks, where it lasted longer than it did among the creators of science and practitioners of scientific research.
It was a 'philosophical' rather than 'scientific' view point of view. It's emphasises that our scientific beliefs are not some absolute truth but are deduced from experiment etc. this could lead onto various forms of e.g. extreme empiricist philosophy, scientific theories were nothing but a sort of shorthand summary of the facts as known. It is not complete stupidity, apart maybe from extremist formulations there is a sound insight and it has to be considered one, well severa, of the varieties of empiricism. Will be considered in every programme or book on philosophy of science. A classical exponent was Ernst Mach. Well-known name, the philosopher most frequently referred to by Einstein, but who has read him today? But in some form his ideas certainly come down to and through Popper.
Extreme formulations were welcome to anti-scientists, those upset by Scientific discovery, e.g. Evolution. If you listen today to their successors, creationists or climate change deniers, you will likewise find them starting off by earnestly explaining to you the scientific method, and then why crediting Evolution by natural selection, or anthropogenic climate change, do not satisfy its requirements.