Did Steven Weinberg Really Pass Away? Any Confirmed Reports?
- Topic: News
- Thread starter DrChinese
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Weinberg
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
24 replies · 3K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Discussion
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,643
- 1,602
Steven Weinberg has died. Giant of physicist; writer of amazing books.
- 19,385
- 15,622
R.I.P.
I thought "The First Three Minutes" was marvelously informative even though it was out of date when I read it.
I thought "The First Three Minutes" was marvelously informative even though it was out of date when I read it.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Wikipedia is currently no reliable source. The Spanish and Dutch versions say he passed away today (24th) whereas this information hasn't been inserted (yet?) on most other versions.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,643
- 1,602
Many professional physicists have posted about this in the twitterverse.
I now see that @Demystifier posted earlier about in the PF Science and Math Textbooks forum.
I now see that @Demystifier posted earlier about in the PF Science and Math Textbooks forum.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 35,014
- 21,725
Is there a primary source? Anywhere?fresh_42 said:whereas this information hasn't been inserted (yet?) on most other versions.
- 20,819
- 28,467
No. Not even the usual lines ("He passed away on ... after ... ") at the end of the biographies.Vanadium 50 said:Is there a primary source? Anywhere?
- 20,819
- 28,467
Motore
- 220
- 222
Admin
- 69,779
- 25,629
Looks like this is the most recent class that he taught:fresh_42 said:
<<snip>>
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,643
- 1,602
berkeman said:Looks like this is the most recent class that he taught:
The lecture notes for this course were turned into his penultimate book, Lectures on Astropysics. The section on white dwarfs and neutron stars helped me when I had to scramble to prepare an upper-level COVID-related and unexpected overload last fall.
I like the personal aspect of the final paragraph of the Preface,
mcastillo356
Gold Member
- 666
- 365
Science Advisor
- 2,982
- 708
Here is his obit from UofT
https://news.utexas.edu/2021/07/24/...-of-world-renowned-physicist-steven-weinberg/
https://news.utexas.edu/2021/07/24/...-of-world-renowned-physicist-steven-weinberg/
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,712
- 7,804
Article in the Austin American-Statesman
https://www.statesman.com/story/new...or-and-nobel-prize-winner-dies-88/8081460002/
and the Wikipedia page is now updated
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Weinberg
University of Texas announcement in September 2020 of Weinberg's Breakthrough Prize award
https://news.utexas.edu/2020/09/10/...-to-university-of-texas-at-austin-researcher/
https://www.statesman.com/story/new...or-and-nobel-prize-winner-dies-88/8081460002/
and the Wikipedia page is now updated
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Weinberg
University of Texas announcement in September 2020 of Weinberg's Breakthrough Prize award
https://news.utexas.edu/2020/09/10/...-to-university-of-texas-at-austin-researcher/
Last edited:
- 7,530
- 3,056
A Conversation with Dr. Steven Weinberg: Becoming Interested in Physics (video posted Nov 17, 2016)
OnRamps (UT Austin)
Weinberg starts at 1m27s.
Steven Weinberg (UT Austin) Lecture 4/27/2021
Mani L. Bhaumik Institute for Theoretical Physics at UCLA
Steven Weinberg in conversation with Andrew Strominger (video posted Apr 5, 2021)
Harvard Science Book Talks and Research Lectures
"A Model of Leptons"
Steven Weinberg
Phys. Rev. Lett. 19, 1264 – Published 20 November 1967
https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.19.1264
https://www.ictp.it/about-ictp/media-centre/news/2017/10/weinberg_story.aspx#close
"Reminiscences of the Standard Model" - Special Colloquium by Steven Weinberg (Streamed live on Oct 17, 2017)
(After a long intro, Weinberg starts at 24m00s.)
The Quantum Theory of Fields Effective or Fundamental? CERN on 2009-07-07 T16:30
Steven Weinberg | On the Development of Effective Field Theory
All Things EFT 1 | Sep 30, 2020
Steven Weinberg - Dreams of a Final Theory ( http://isepp.org , pre-dates the SSC: 1992? ) (video posted Aug 20, 2020)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfKEFUpRop0The Bill Moyers Interview - Steven Weinberg (2nd July 1990) (video posted Aug 12, 2019)
https://youtu.be/H728-2_8ePs
Charlie Rose interview: Steven Weinberg, a Nobel laureate in physics, presents his book,
"Dreams of a Final Theory: The Search for Nature's Final Laws." Thursday 02/11/1993
https://charlierose.com/videos/23531
OnRamps (UT Austin)
Weinberg starts at 1m27s.
Steven Weinberg (UT Austin) Lecture 4/27/2021
Mani L. Bhaumik Institute for Theoretical Physics at UCLA
Steven Weinberg in conversation with Andrew Strominger (video posted Apr 5, 2021)
Harvard Science Book Talks and Research Lectures
"A Model of Leptons"
Steven Weinberg
Phys. Rev. Lett. 19, 1264 – Published 20 November 1967
https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.19.1264
https://www.ictp.it/about-ictp/media-centre/news/2017/10/weinberg_story.aspx#close
"Reminiscences of the Standard Model" - Special Colloquium by Steven Weinberg (Streamed live on Oct 17, 2017)
(After a long intro, Weinberg starts at 24m00s.)
The Quantum Theory of Fields Effective or Fundamental? CERN on 2009-07-07 T16:30
Steven Weinberg | On the Development of Effective Field Theory
All Things EFT 1 | Sep 30, 2020
Steven Weinberg - Dreams of a Final Theory ( http://isepp.org , pre-dates the SSC: 1992? ) (video posted Aug 20, 2020)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfKEFUpRop0The Bill Moyers Interview - Steven Weinberg (2nd July 1990) (video posted Aug 12, 2019)
https://youtu.be/H728-2_8ePs
Charlie Rose interview: Steven Weinberg, a Nobel laureate in physics, presents his book,
"Dreams of a Final Theory: The Search for Nature's Final Laws." Thursday 02/11/1993
https://charlierose.com/videos/23531
romsofia
Gold Member
- 603
- 337
He taught that one up until 2019! Ill attach my syllabus as proof, but he taught it multiple years.berkeman said:Looks like this is the most recent class that he taught:
Another video for those who like Weinberg is the following video (Also has DeWitt, another great physicist):
Science Advisor
- 15,171
- 3,379
Oh, when RLM was still RLM (they renamed it for a good reason). I used to be in Patterson (there were neurobiology labs there, that have since moved across the street). Weinberg and I were often in the same line for coffee on the ground floor of RLM, but I never spoke to him, although I was of course in awe.romsofia said:He taught that one up until 2019! Ill attach my syllabus as proof, but he taught it multiple years.
Mentor
- 15,819
- 10,706
UT News published this tribute to Prof Weinberg:
https://news.utexas.edu/2021/07/24/...-of-world-renowned-physicist-steven-weinberg/
https://news.utexas.edu/2021/07/24/...-of-world-renowned-physicist-steven-weinberg/
- 20,002
- 11,119
He was always incredible to listen to. Any time I saw an interview it was an immediate watch!
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
romsofia said:Another video for those who like Weinberg is the following video (Also has DeWitt, another great physicist):
I had to LOL when I realized he is saying that QM cannot exist in two states at once!
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,643
- 1,602
Physics Today has some great personal remembrances of Weinberg,
https://physicstoday.scitation.org/do/10.1063/PT.6.4.20210803a/full/
As a grad student in the late 80s, I was lucky enough to attend two talks by Weinberg.
https://physicstoday.scitation.org/do/10.1063/PT.6.4.20210803a/full/
Greg Bernhardt said:He was always incredible to listen to. Any time I saw an interview it was an immediate watch!
As a grad student in the late 80s, I was lucky enough to attend two talks by Weinberg.
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
That was how I felt about his books. Though dated, I cherish my copy of "The First Three Minutes"; rendition 6 with many updates including implications of CMBR anisotropies.Greg Bernhardt said:He was always incredible to listen to. Any time I saw an interview it was an immediate watch!
I look forward to watching the videos included in this thread.