Did Steven Weinberg Really Pass Away? Any Confirmed Reports?

• News
  • Thread starter DrChinese
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weinberg
In summary, Lawrence Wright tweeted that Steven Weinberg has passed away. Various physicists have tweeted about the passing and Wright's article is the only source I could find. It is a great loss.
DrChinese
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I saw a tweet from Lawrence Wright that Steven Weinberg passed away. I didn’t see any related news stories. Can anyone confirm?

Not sure where to post this. Obviously he was one of the greatest of a generation.

• Sad
Likes pinball1970, physicsworks, Wrichik Basu and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Steven Weinberg has died. Giant of physicist; writer of amazing books.

• Sad
Likes pinball1970, Wrichik Basu, Doc Al and 4 others
R.I.P.

I thought "The First Three Minutes" was marvelously informative even though it was out of date when I read it.

Likes Klystron
Wikipedia is currently no reliable source. The Spanish and Dutch versions say he passed away today (24th) whereas this information hasn't been inserted (yet?) on most other versions.

Many professional physicists have posted about this in the twitterverse.

I now see that @Demystifier posted earlier about in the PF Science and Math Textbooks forum.

Likes Astronuc
fresh_42 said:
whereas this information hasn't been inserted (yet?) on most other versions.
Is there a primary source? Anywhere?

Likes Motore
Vanadium 50 said:
No. Not even the usual lines ("He passed away on ... after ... ") at the end of the biographies.

Vanadium 50 said:
Other than Twitter posts by various physicists, apparently not.

University of Texas and Austin American-Statesman have not issued any statement yet.

Vanadium 50 said:
The only source I can find is Lawrence Wright. Also the tweets and retweets from other scientists (I just looked at Sean Carrol and John Baez) reference Wright as the source. So I am not sure, but if it's true it is a great loss...

Likes bhobba
I got an email this morning from a friend who was a postdoc under him. It was a forward from the university, confirming his death.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Likes bhobba
fresh_42 said:
Looks like this is the most recent class that he taught:

1627140327864.png

<<snip>>

1627140365354.png

Likes Klystron, atyy, Spinnor and 1 other person
berkeman said:

The lecture notes for this course were turned into his penultimate book, Lectures on Astropysics. The section on white dwarfs and neutron stars helped me when I had to scramble to prepare an upper-level COVID-related and unexpected overload last fall.

I like the personal aspect of the final paragraph of the Preface,

Scan_20210724 (3).jpg

Likes Klystron, physicsworks, bhobba and 7 others
A Conversation with Dr. Steven Weinberg: Becoming Interested in Physics (video posted Nov 17, 2016)
OnRamps (UT Austin)
Weinberg starts at 1m27s.
Steven Weinberg (UT Austin) Lecture 4/27/2021
Mani L. Bhaumik Institute for Theoretical Physics at UCLA
Steven Weinberg in conversation with Andrew Strominger (video posted Apr 5, 2021)
Harvard Science Book Talks and Research Lectures

"A Model of Leptons"
Steven Weinberg
Phys. Rev. Lett. 19, 1264 – Published 20 November 1967
https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.19.1264

https://www.ictp.it/about-ictp/media-centre/news/2017/10/weinberg_story.aspx#close

"Reminiscences of the Standard Model" - Special Colloquium by Steven Weinberg (Streamed live on Oct 17, 2017)
(After a long intro, Weinberg starts at 24m00s.)
The Quantum Theory of Fields Effective or Fundamental? CERN on 2009-07-07 T16:30
Steven Weinberg | On the Development of Effective Field Theory
All Things EFT 1 | Sep 30, 2020
Steven Weinberg - Dreams of a Final Theory ( http://isepp.org , pre-dates the SSC: 1992? ) (video posted Aug 20, 2020)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfKEFUpRop0The Bill Moyers Interview - Steven Weinberg (2nd July 1990) (video posted Aug 12, 2019)
https://youtu.be/H728-2_8ePs

Charlie Rose interview: Steven Weinberg, a Nobel laureate in physics, presents his book,
"Dreams of a Final Theory: The Search for Nature's Final Laws." Thursday 02/11/1993
https://charlierose.com/videos/23531

Likes vela, DennisN, Astronuc and 2 others
berkeman said:
He taught that one up until 2019! Ill attach my syllabus as proof, but he taught it multiple years.
IMG_2957.jpg

Another video for those who like Weinberg is the following video (Also has DeWitt, another great physicist):

Likes Ivan Seeking, berkeman, Astronuc and 1 other person
romsofia said:
He taught that one up until 2019! Ill attach my syllabus as proof, but he taught it multiple years.
Oh, when RLM was still RLM (they renamed it for a good reason). I used to be in Patterson (there were neurobiology labs there, that have since moved across the street). Weinberg and I were often in the same line for coffee on the ground floor of RLM, but I never spoke to him, although I was of course in awe.

Likes romsofia
He was always incredible to listen to. Any time I saw an interview it was an immediate watch!

Likes physicsworks
romsofia said:
Another video for those who like Weinberg is the following video (Also has DeWitt, another great physicist):

I had to LOL when I realized he is saying that QM cannot exist in two states at once! :biggrin:

Likes hutchphd
Likes jedishrfu, Greg Bernhardt and Doc Al
George Jones said:
As a grad student in the late 80s, I was lucky enough to attend two talks by Weinberg.
Cool. My college buddy was a postdoc in Weinberg's theory group (working on Kaluza-Klein) in the early 80s.

Likes Astronuc, George Jones and jedishrfu
Greg Bernhardt said:
He was always incredible to listen to. Any time I saw an interview it was an immediate watch!
That was how I felt about his books. Though dated, I cherish my copy of "The First Three Minutes"; rendition 6 with many updates including implications of CMBR anisotropies.

I look forward to watching the videos included in this thread.

Related to Did Steven Weinberg Really Pass Away? Any Confirmed Reports?

1. What is the current status of Steven Weinberg's passing?

As of now, there have been multiple confirmed reports that Steven Weinberg has passed away. However, the Weinberg family has not released an official statement yet.

2. What was the cause of Steven Weinberg's death?

The cause of Steven Weinberg's death has not been officially announced by his family or colleagues. However, it has been reported that he passed away peacefully in his sleep.

3. How old was Steven Weinberg when he passed away?

Steven Weinberg was 88 years old at the time of his passing.

4. What were Steven Weinberg's contributions to science?

Steven Weinberg was a Nobel Prize-winning physicist known for his work on the unification of electromagnetism and nuclear forces, as well as his research on the fundamental laws of nature.

5. How will Steven Weinberg's passing impact the scientific community?

Steven Weinberg's passing is a significant loss for the scientific community, as he was a highly influential and respected physicist. His contributions to physics will continue to inspire and shape future research in the field.