Did the Hunter's Moon Really Look Like a Second Sun in North America?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter cnh1995
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Canada Moon Usa
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 11K views
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Messages
3,489
Reaction score
1,173
My facebook timeline was showing a news which said "North America and Canada witnessed two Suns in the sky". (I know fb is not a reliable source for such information).Because of the change in orbits, the moon rises and the Sun sets at the same time and the moon reflects the sunlight so bright that it appears as another Sun. I read in an article that the time between sunset and moonrise is shorter for Hunter's moon. But do they both appear at the same time like in these pictures?
images (3).jpg

Is this true? I have a limited knowledge of astronomy, so I don't understand this change of orbit thing. From what I read on the internet, some news reports say it's true while some say it's fake.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
cnh1995 said:
the moon rises and the Sun sets at the same time and the moon reflects the sunlight so bright that it appears as another Sun

No way. Moon can reflect the light from the Sun only when it is in the sky (as seen from the Earth) on the opposite side the Sun is. Very simple and basic geometry.

img039.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters, davenn and cnh1995
Borek said:
Very simple and basic geometry.
That was very stupid of me!o0) Don't know why I couldn't see that...
Thanks!
 
cnh1995 said:
That was very stupid of me!

After all my yesterdays blunders (not necessarily related to PF) I am glad to hear others have weaker days too :wink:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: cnh1995
Zylia said:
Just a photo hoax?
yup just more garbage, just like that other "photo" that was doing the rounds for several yrs on FB and other places of the Sun and the full moon between 2 palm trees, it, as the one above are impossibleDave
 
davenn said:
yup just more garbage, just like that other "photo" that was doing the rounds for several yrs on FB and other places of the Sun and the full moon between 2 palm trees, it, as the one above are impossibleDave
Thank you Davel!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
Zylia said:
I had your name wrong in the first reply
ohhh I didn't even notice haha
nice to meet you, enjoy your time on PF :smile:Dave
 
davenn said:
ohhh I didn't even notice haha
nice to meet you, enjoy your time on PF :smile:Dave
Nice to meet you too..and thanks again for the speedy reply. This settled an argument between me and my "know-it-all" husband, and I'm ashamed to say I lost..again. Next time, I'm coming to the forum before I reply to anything he says😬
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
cnh1995 said:
My facebook timeline was showing a news which said "North America and Canada witnessed two Suns in the sky". (I know fb is not a reliable source for such information).Because of the change in orbits, the moon rises and the Sun sets at the same time and the moon reflects the sunlight so bright that it appears as another Sun. I read in an article that the time between sunset and moonrise is shorter for Hunter's moon. But do they both appear at the same time like in these pictures?
Can't believe I was that stupid two and a half years ago!o0)

(Mods, is there a way to close this thread so nobody brings it up again?)
 
I am
Zylia said:
Sorry Dave
I am afraid I can't do that.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre, russ_watters and Bystander