'diels alder' like reaction with nonconjugated dienes

  • Thread starter Thread starter Galap
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Reaction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Galap
Messages
139
Reaction score
0
Can a reaction like the diels alder reaction occur if the diene is not conjugated, but can have the proper geometric configuration for the same electron transfer?

http://i.imgur.com/sFhLg.jpg

Image of example.

If my question is unclear, I can clarify further if necessary.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think so, but note that in your example there are two hydrogens pointing towards each other which makes the relevant conformation implausible.
On the other hand, if I remember correctly, Diels Alder like reactions may also happen non-synchronously via a mechanism involving radicals, maybe that's more plausible in that case.
 
Yes, the reaction you have on the paper is legitimate.