Difference between Big Chill and Big Snap scenarious

• Thread starter Dmitry67
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary: Max Tegmark discusses a scenario where the number of degrees of freedom per Hubble volume decreases, leading to the eventual destruction of life as we know it. However, this is not the same as the "Big Chill" - a cold empty dark universe. Gamma ray bursts play a major role in ruling out this scenario, as they are the only events that have been observed to have this effect.
Dmitry67
Hi

Could you comment on Big Snap scenario briefly mentioned by Max Tegmark on page 12 (and I can't google more):

How unitary cosmology generalizes thermodynamics and solves the inflationary entropy problem
http://arxiv.org/abs/1108.3080

life as we know it may eventually be destroyed in a "Big Snap" when the increasingly granular nature of space begins to alter our effective laws of particle physics, much like a rubber band cannot be stretched indefinitely before the granular nature of its atoms cause our continuum description of it to break down

I understand that during the inflation the number of degrees of freedom per Hubble volume decreases, so life will be impossible. However, isn't it the same as "Big Chill" - cold empty dark universe?

Also, what's so special about gamma ray bursts?

Moreover, in the simplest scenarios where the number of observers is proportional to postinfationary volume, such Big Snap scenarios are already ruled out by dispersion measurements using gamma ray bursts.

Space news on Phys.org
Eh, I doubt the "Big Snap" will turn out to be a real issue.

My argument is this. You can fully-describe our universe by only referencing the observable universe and the horizon set by the value of the cosmological constant: the degrees of freedom on this horizon encapsulate all of the degrees of freedom outside this horizon. In this model, the number of degrees of freedom is finite, constant, and independent of the dynamics of the expanding universe, so that you don't need to have any granulation effects in order to end up with a constant degrees of freedom.

Edit: Cool. He actually discusses this alternative approach. So it generally comes down to whether or not the holographic cosmology which I just laid out above is accurate. I think it is more likely to be, but we'll see (hopefully).

Chalnoth said:
In this model, the number of degrees of freedom is finite, constant, and independent of the dynamics of the expanding universe, so that you don't need to have any granulation effects in order to end up with a constant degrees of freedom.

But this is true only without dark energy, with it the matter (together with the associated degrees of freedom) constantly goes away thru the Hubble horizon, so we can end with an absolutely empty Hubble volume, without a single particle.

Dmitry67 said:
But this is true only without dark energy, with it the matter (together with the associated degrees of freedom) constantly goes away thru the Hubble horizon, so we can end with an absolutely empty Hubble volume, without a single particle.
No, the situation I described was with dark energy (specifically, a cosmological constant). Yes, it may look very different in terms of the number of particles. But that doesn't mean it isn't the same system. Particles that leave the horizon have their degrees of freedom encoded in the horizon.

The end future of this universe is not an absolutely empty Hubble volume, by the way, because there is Hawking radiation from the horizon.

Edit: Oh, and as for how the degrees of freedom are encoded on the horizon, I don't think anybody knows exactly (I'm sure many understand it better than I). But the horizon does grow in size with every particle that passes through it (analogous to the fact that a black hole's horizon grows with every particle that enters the black hole's horizon).

Chalnoth said:
The end future of this universe is not an absolutely empty Hubble volume, by the way, because there is Hawking radiation from the horizon.

I know. Even more: Hawking radiation "blocks" the Big Rip: very close to the rip, Hubble volumes become so tiny that the Hawking radiation (it's intensity grows much faster that the deterioration of space!) fills the space again with the particles, effectively "resetting" the expansion. I don't know if anybody had ever explored that model.

Chalnoth said:
Oh, and as for how the degrees of freedom are encoded on the horizon, I don't think anybody knows exactly

And it's a pity because I that was my very next question :)

1. What is the difference between Big Chill and Big Snap scenarios?

The terms "Big Chill" and "Big Snap" refer to two possible outcomes of climate change. The Big Chill scenario is characterized by a gradual decrease in global temperatures due to increased atmospheric particles blocking sunlight. The Big Snap scenario, on the other hand, involves a sudden and dramatic change in the Earth's climate, such as a rapid increase in temperature or a significant shift in weather patterns.

2. How likely is it that the Earth will experience a Big Chill or Big Snap scenario?

The likelihood of either scenario occurring depends on various factors, including human activities and natural processes. Some scientists believe that the Earth is currently in a Big Chill scenario due to the cooling effects of air pollution and volcanic eruptions. However, others warn that continued greenhouse gas emissions could lead to a sudden shift to a Big Snap scenario in the future.

3. What are the potential impacts of a Big Chill or Big Snap scenario?

The impacts of these scenarios can vary greatly and are difficult to predict. In a Big Chill scenario, colder temperatures could affect agriculture, cause extreme weather events, and potentially lead to the extinction of certain species. A Big Snap scenario could result in more intense heat waves, droughts, and sea level rise, leading to displacement of human populations and damage to ecosystems.

4. Can we prevent a Big Chill or Big Snap scenario from happening?

It is possible to mitigate the effects of climate change and potentially prevent a Big Chill or Big Snap scenario by reducing greenhouse gas emissions and implementing sustainable practices. However, the Earth's climate is complex and influenced by various factors, so it is difficult to say with certainty that these scenarios can be completely avoided.

5. How can we prepare for a Big Chill or Big Snap scenario?

The best way to prepare for these scenarios is to be proactive in addressing climate change and reducing our impact on the environment. This can include supporting renewable energy sources, practicing sustainable living habits, and being informed about potential risks and adaptation strategies. Governments and communities can also develop emergency plans and infrastructure to mitigate the impacts of extreme weather events that may occur in either scenario.