Difference between the inelasticity and plasticity of metals

In summary, inelasticity and plasticity are often used interchangeably in reference to metals, as plasticity is the main mechanism in inelastic behavior. However, inelastic behavior also includes other phenomena such as fracture, void growth, and recrystallization. There is no sharp difference between inelasticity and plasticity. Inelastic strain occurs when a load is removed from a metal and permanent internal stresses remain, while plastic strain occurs when the material's tensile strength is exceeded and it visibly stretches. Inelastic liquids are a separate concept that may refer to materials that do not follow the typical rules of elasticity.
hariharan venkatasu
TL;DR Summary
I am confused between inelasticity and plasticity of metals. Is there a clear cut distinction between these two properties? To me both seem to be same. None of the internet articles give clear and convincing answer . Could you please clarify the difference? Thank you.
It is felt that inelasticity can be used interchangeably.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Inelastic behavior contains plastic behavior, so they are often used interchangeably since plasticity is the major mechanism in metals. Inelastic behavior also contains other phenomena (fracture, void growth, recrystallization, …)

I did not understand what you mean by fracture ,void growth,recrystallization etc. Actually my question is whether is there a sharp difference between inelasticity and plasticity ?.

hariharan venkatasu said:
Actually my question is whether is there a sharp difference between inelasticity and plasticity?
No.

Thank you very much for the answer

Likes Frabjous
I was taught inelastic/plastic strain.
Inelastic strain occurs when a load ( below the tensile strength ) is removed from a metal and permanent internal stresses at the grain boundaries remains.
Plastic strain occurs when the materials tensile strength has been exceeded with a load. This type of strain is visible by eye. The material has been stretched.
You can research Young's Modulus of Elasticity for more info on a materials plastic limit.

Extremely thankful to you. Your answer is very clear

Further I want to know what is inelastic liquids which I came across a few days ago

1. What is the difference between inelasticity and plasticity of metals?

The main difference between inelasticity and plasticity of metals is that inelasticity refers to the inability of a material to return to its original shape after being deformed, while plasticity refers to the ability of a material to undergo permanent deformation without breaking.

2. How do inelastic and plastic behaviors affect the properties of metals?

Inelastic behavior can cause a decrease in strength and stiffness of metals, while plastic behavior can increase the ductility and toughness of metals.

3. What causes inelasticity and plasticity in metals?

Inelasticity is caused by the breaking of atomic bonds within the metal, while plasticity is caused by the movement of dislocations within the metal's crystal structure.

4. Can metals exhibit both inelastic and plastic behavior?

Yes, metals can exhibit both inelastic and plastic behavior depending on the amount of stress and strain applied to them. At low stress levels, metals may exhibit only elastic behavior, but at higher stress levels, they can exhibit both inelastic and plastic behavior.

5. How can the inelastic and plastic behaviors of metals be measured?

The inelastic behavior of metals can be measured using techniques such as tensile testing and compression testing, while the plastic behavior can be measured using techniques such as hardness testing and impact testing.