Difference in flight time for two planes with different velocity profiles

In summary, a British concord and a French concord flew around the world in opposite directions, with the British concord covering half its distance at 2500 km/h and the other half at 1000 km/h, and the French concord spending half its flight time at 2500 km/h and the other half at 1000 km/h. The French concord completed the trip first, beating the British concord by 5.1 hours. However, the answer provided in the book states that the British concord got there first, which appears to be incorrect based on the calculations.
novae

Homework Statement

** sorry, answer in the book doesn't make sense **
A british concord and a French concord flew in opposite directions around the world, a distance of 40K km. The BC covered half its distance at 2500 km/h, and the other half at 1000km/h. The FC spent half its flight time at 2500 km/h and the other half at 1000 km/h. Which concorde completed the trip first and by how many hours did it beat the oher?

Homework Equations

V= d/t.

The Attempt at a Solution

Time for BC [/B]
20 000km /t = 2500
t= 20 000/2500
t= 8 hours
20 000km/1000=t
20 hrs = t
Total time = 28 hours

Time for FC
40 000 = 2500 (t/2) + 1000 (t/2)
40 000 = 3500 (t/2)
(40 000/3500)2= t
22.9 hours =t

Looking at this, the french concorde got there first and beat the British concord by 5.1 hours. At the back, the difference I got is correct, it is 5.1 hours, but it says the British concord got there first. How? The BC trip was 28 hours, the FC trip was 22.9 unless I did something wrong ?

*I'm sorry this is probably a dumb question, but I don't remember if my teacher said the answer at the back was incorrect or not, so this is me reconfirming my assumption that the book is wrong *

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like the book is wrong.

Likes novae
Your answer looks ok to me.

Likes novae

1. How does the velocity profile affect the flight time of a plane?

The velocity profile of a plane refers to the speed and direction at which it travels throughout its flight. This can greatly impact the flight time as a plane with a higher average velocity will cover more distance in a shorter amount of time compared to a plane with a lower average velocity.

2. Is the difference in flight time significant between two planes with different velocity profiles?

Yes, the difference in flight time can be significant depending on the velocity profiles of the two planes. A plane with a more efficient and consistent velocity profile will have a shorter flight time compared to a plane with a less efficient and inconsistent velocity profile.

3. How do external factors such as wind affect the flight time of a plane?

External factors such as wind can affect the flight time of a plane by either helping or hindering its velocity profile. A tailwind can increase the average velocity of a plane, resulting in a shorter flight time, while a headwind can decrease the average velocity and prolong the flight time.

4. Can the flight time of a plane be accurately predicted based on its velocity profile?

While the velocity profile is an important factor in determining flight time, there are other variables that can also impact the actual flight time, such as air traffic, weather conditions, and the route taken. Therefore, it is difficult to accurately predict the exact flight time based on just the velocity profile.

5. How can a pilot optimize the velocity profile to minimize flight time?

A pilot can optimize the velocity profile by maintaining a steady and efficient speed, taking advantage of favorable wind conditions, and choosing the most direct route. Additionally, regularly monitoring and adjusting the velocity profile during the flight can also help minimize the overall flight time.