Differences in majors in regards to graduate application.

In summary, the speaker is a third year student majoring in Engineering Physics and is concerned about how this major will be viewed by graduate schools. They have chosen this major because it allows them to take more Computer Science courses and avoid a foreign language requirement. The speaker has a strong academic record and has also done research. They are wondering if it would be better to take courses that will help them in the future rather than worrying about their major. The expert summarizer concludes that grad schools care more about the individual courses taken rather than the major name, and that the speaker's strong academic performance and research experience will also be considered.
MarkMurphy
Hello, my name is Mark Murphy. I've kept tabs on this forum for a while, and was hoping I might garner some advice regarding my curriculum.

I am currently a third year at my university, majoring in Engineering Physics. Our Engineering Physics program differs from our Physics graduate school track program by one required course and a small number of free elective hours. I am currently planning on completing all of the courses and beyond what is required of the Physics graduate school track program. I'm concerned however with how this is viewed by graduate schools. I chose to major in Engineering Physics because it allowed me to take a significant number of Computer Science courses, which I am particularly good at, while removing the foreign language requirement from the general education requirements. This is not a reduction in required hours, but rather an increase. I personally consider the program to be more rigorous, as I am completing over fifty hours of engineering coursework in place of fifteen hours of foreign language coursework. My concern is that graduate schools will not view my major this way, but rather as a lower level physics student and simply brush my application aside.

Here is a little background on my academic performance; I have never received lower than a B in any of my Physics coursework, generally receiving B+ or A-. My Math coursework is similar, receiving either high B range or perfect scores. And my Computer Science coursework has been all perfect scores. I did have one poor quarter during my freshman year, 20 credit hours during winter quarter, where I received two C-'s, a B and an A-. However, all other quarters have been at or above a 3.5 with increasing hours and no general education courses boosting them.

I have done two summers of research at another university, and I plan on conducting undergraduate research during this winter quarter and the following quarters for the remainder of my undergraduate academic career. I have already been approached regarding a position in a lab at my university, so I am confident I will have a position.

In conclusion, I would like to ask if my concern is justified? Would it be advisable to take the courses that I believe will most help me in the future, rather than worry about the major itself? I am sure that when applying to graduate school, the admissions department does not look at the degree name only and ignore the coursework, however I am also aware that they must sort through many, many applications and that most will not be reviewed in their entirety.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Grad schools care more about the individual courses you take than the name of any major or minor you may have. The only difference between you and other physics majors is that they probably took more physics classes instead of engineering coursework, which is more favorable to grad schools.

Thank you, that's good to know.

1. What majors are most competitive for graduate school applications?

The most competitive majors for graduate school applications vary depending on the specific field of study and the university. Generally, majors in STEM fields (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) tend to be more competitive due to the high demand for skilled professionals in these industries. However, some non-STEM majors such as business, law, and medicine can also be highly competitive.

2. How do different majors affect the likelihood of being accepted into a graduate program?

The impact of a specific major on the likelihood of being accepted into a graduate program also depends on the field of study and the university. Some graduate programs may prioritize applicants from certain majors, while others may place more emphasis on a candidate's overall academic performance and research experience.

3. Can a student with a non-related undergraduate major still be accepted into a graduate program in a different field?

Yes, it is possible for a student with a non-related undergraduate major to be accepted into a graduate program in a different field. However, the student may need to take additional courses or demonstrate relevant skills and experiences to show their preparedness for the graduate program.

4. Are there any majors that are considered to be less desirable for graduate school applications?

There is no specific major that is universally considered to be less desirable for graduate school applications. However, majors with lower demand in the job market or those that are less academically rigorous may not be as competitive as others. It is important to research the specific requirements and preferences of the graduate programs you are interested in to determine if your major may impact your chances of acceptance.

5. Can changing majors in undergraduate affect graduate school applications?

Changing majors in undergraduate can potentially affect graduate school applications, but it ultimately depends on the specific circumstances and the policies of the graduate programs you are applying to. If the new major aligns with your career goals and you can demonstrate relevant skills and experiences in the field, it may not have a significant impact. However, if you switch to a completely unrelated major, you may need to explain your decision and show your preparedness for the graduate program in other ways.