Differences in photons from protons vs photons from e-?

In summary, there is no difference between photons emitted by electrons and photons emitted by protons in terms of spin, polarization, or wavefunction features. Any perceived differences are due to the limitations of the approximation being used and do not accurately reflect the true nature of photons and their interactions with particles. The concept of single photons being "shot" between particles is also a misconception in the context of quantum field theory.
Idunno
In an effort to understand how an electron and proton attract each other in the QFT picture, I am wondering if there any differences at all between photons (virtual or whatever) emitted by electrons and photons emitted by protons?

For instance, do photons from protons have a different spin or polarization than those emitted by electrons? Are they out of phase or something? Do photons from protons tend to make electrons emit photons, whereas photons from electrons that hit other electrons tend to make those electrons absorb the photons?

Anything like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Idunno said:
I am wondering if there any differences at all between photons (virtual or whatever) emitted by electrons and photons emitted by protons?
No.
In an effort to understand how an electron and proton attract each other in the QFT picture...
Try this link for a start: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Quantum/virtual_particles.html

Nugatory said:

Thank you for replying. I was looking at that very article for a time today and yesterday.

The article you link states the following:

"When I include all of these possibilities, it turns out that I can approximate the photon's momentum-space wave function usably well by the following: the wave function is a function proportional to the electric charge of the emitting particle (in a sense this defines what electric charge is), and it has a few big, narrow spikes in it. One spike is proportional to -i times the charge, and is to the left of the origin; the other spike is minus that and is to the right of the origin. (There is also a third spike at zero momentum that has a real amplitude, but it turns out not to do anything important at the end of the day—it provides a constant potential energy—so I'll ignore it.) The imaginary component of the photon wave function looks like this, if the emitting particle was a negatively charged electron:

|
+i | zero momentum p -->
| |
| v
0 __________|________________________________________
|
|
|
-i |
|If the emitting particle was positively charged, this picture is upside down."

So, it seems to me that, according to the article, there is a difference between a photon emitted by a proton and a photon emitted by an electron, at least in the imaginary part of their respective wavefunctions. Any other wavefunction differences between them?

If you or anyone else could be kind enough to help me understand this difference in any way that might be helpful, I would be grateful.

The Coulomb field of a charge is not described by single photons but by a resummation of infinitely many Feynman diagrams. See, e.g., the chapter on the soft-photon approximation in Weinberg, Quantum Theory of Fields, vol. 1.

Likes dextercioby
Idunno said:
Any other wavefunction differences between them?

At the level of approximation being used, no. But it is an approximation, and a rather crude one. You should read very carefully all the disclaimers in that article; they are important. The key point for your question is a bit later in the article than the diagram you posted--the second diagram after that and the accompanying text. Note carefully how the sign change affects the result, as described in the text accompanying that diagram.

You put a proton by itself in a box, moving very slowly, you put an electron in same box, and the electron shoots a single photon at the proton. What happens?

If the proton moves towards the electron, either

The photon has some sort of information about what charge produced it (contained in its various features), either in its spin or polarization or way its wave carries its momentum or *something*.

OR

It was lucky, because it's a cumulative effect from many photons and is related to the emission rates (or some similar concept) of both proton and electron emitting photons.

I can't envision any other possibilities. Which is it?

Idunno said:
You put a proton by itself in a box, moving very slowly, you put an electron in same box, and the electron shoots a single photon at the proton.

How do you get the electron to "shoot" a single photon at the proton? If you are thinking that we have some experimental apparatus that let's us control this, you are quite mistaken. If you think we can somehow observe single photons being "shot" between the proton and electron in the box, even if we can't control their emission, you are also quite mistaken. Finally, if you are thinking that the photons are little billiard balls, each carrying a definite quantity of momentum, even if we can't directly observe them, you are once more quite mistaken.

Idunno said:
I can't envision any other possibilities.

Then you need to spend some time learning quantum field theory.

Idunno said:
Which is it?

Neither.

What are the differences between photons from protons and photons from electrons?

Photons from protons and photons from electrons are both forms of electromagnetic radiation, but there are some key differences between them. One major difference is their source - photons from protons come from the nucleus of an atom, while photons from electrons come from the movement of electrons around the nucleus. Additionally, photons from protons have a much higher energy and shorter wavelength compared to photons from electrons.

How do the energy levels of photons from protons and photons from electrons compare?

The energy levels of photons from protons and photons from electrons are significantly different. Photons from protons have a much higher energy level, as they are released from the nucleus of an atom, which contains much more energy than the electrons orbiting around it. Conversely, photons from electrons have lower energy levels, as they are released from the movement of electrons within an atom's electron cloud.

Do photons from protons and photons from electrons behave differently?

While both photons from protons and photons from electrons are forms of electromagnetic radiation, they do behave differently. Photons from protons are considered to be ionizing radiation, meaning they have enough energy to remove electrons from atoms, while photons from electrons are considered to be non-ionizing radiation, as they do not have enough energy to remove electrons from atoms.

Can photons from protons and photons from electrons cause different types of damage?

Yes, photons from protons and photons from electrons can cause different types of damage. Photons from protons, being ionizing radiation, can cause damage to DNA and other biological molecules by breaking chemical bonds. On the other hand, photons from electrons, being non-ionizing radiation, can cause damage through heat and other mechanical effects, but do not directly affect chemical bonds.

How do photons from protons and photons from electrons interact with matter differently?

The interaction of photons from protons and photons from electrons with matter is different due to their energy levels. Photons from protons, being high-energy ionizing radiation, can penetrate deeper into matter and cause more damage, while photons from electrons, being lower-energy non-ionizing radiation, are more easily absorbed and do not penetrate as deeply into matter.