Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Different Type of Extension Problem for Groups

1. Jul 10, 2008 #1
    Let H, K be finite groups.

Instead of asking what groups G there are such that K can be embedded as a normal subroup and G/K is isomorphic with H (the usual extension problem for groups), I've been thinking about the following:

Which groups G exist such that H and K can be embedded as (not necessarily normal) subgroups such that G=HK where H and K have trivial intersection?

This neither contains nor is contained in the usual extension problem since there there is no requirement for the normal subgroup to have a complement, and here we don't require any of the factors to be normal.

Clearly for a given G with relevant subgroups identified, there exist cases where we could replace one of the subgroups by a conjugate (e.g. the complement of a semidirect product). Perhaps we could even do the same with an isomorphic non-conjugate. This leads me to think that perhaps some of these 'extensions' should be in some sense 'isomorphic' or 'equivalent'.

I guess my first question before I go any further is is this already an established theory? (It must be.)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted