Can New Versions of COMSOL Improve Solver Efficiency and User-Friendliness?

• Thread starter feynman1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comsol
In summary: There is no such thing as a "bad" solver in COMSOL; you just have to pick the right solver for your problem. COMSOL comes with a variety of solvers, meshing algorithms, and boundary conditions that can be selected by the user, depending on the problem at hand. I don't think there is a such as thing as a "bad" solver in COMSOL; you just have to pick the right solver for your problem.
feynman1
Do new versions show advantages in computing capability than old ones? For instance, could a solution not converged in an old version become converged in a new one?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I think you might need to be bit more specific.
The reason for why a solution does not converge is usually because the mathematical problem is badly formulated, not because of a problem with the software you are using (unless of course there is a bug in the software, but that is very rare) .

That said, sometimes the lack of convergence is because you are using the "wrong" solver or the wrong type of mesh and newer versions of COMSOL have more options when it comes to the choice of solver and meshing algorithm, so it that sense a new version might be "better" for a given problem.

However, I would be very surprised if a model that did not converge on one version would suddenly converge on a newer version without any changes being made.

yes, I mean in case a new version has a better solver, whether or not problems are more easily converged.

Again, it depends on the problem. I don't think there is a such as thing as a "bad" solver in COMSOL; you just have to pick the right solver for your problem.
There are multiple solvers available in COMSOL plus a variety of meshing algorithms and different boundary conditions. if your problem falls neatly into one of the pre-definied categories you can usually use the default settings; but if not you need to think a bit about what you are trying to do and in some cases you need to consider which solver is best for you particular problem.
That said, in my experience most of the issues you come across are related to the meshing and the choice of boundary conditions. Again, this is not a problem with COMSOL as such; it is just the nature of FEM.

usually solvers are chosen by COMSOL by default. most users have no knowledge of how to choose solvers. Will new versions make more foolproof or user friendly solvers?

1. What is COMSOL and why are there different versions available?

COMSOL is a finite element analysis software used for modeling and simulating physical systems. It allows for the solving of complex engineering and scientific problems. Different versions are available to cater to the specific needs and requirements of different industries and research fields.

2. What are the main differences between the different versions of COMSOL?

The main differences between the different versions of COMSOL lie in the features and capabilities offered. Higher versions often include additional modules and tools for specific applications, advanced solvers, and increased simulation speed.

3. How do I choose the right version of COMSOL for my needs?

The right version of COMSOL for your needs will depend on your specific research or industry requirements. It is important to carefully evaluate the features and capabilities offered by each version and choose the one that best aligns with your simulation needs.

4. Can I upgrade to a higher version of COMSOL if needed?

Yes, it is possible to upgrade to a higher version of COMSOL if needed. The company offers upgrade options for current users, and you can also contact their sales team for assistance in choosing the best upgrade for your needs.

5. Are there any resources available to help me learn how to use different versions of COMSOL?

Yes, there are various resources available to help you learn how to use different versions of COMSOL. These include online tutorials, webinars, user guides, and support from the COMSOL community. The company also offers training courses for their software.